Removed.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Developing knee trouble
Started by gymnaxis, March 17, 2014 · 18 Replies · 765 Views
Do you do other work apart from F1? Running, football, or other stuff that could be involved?
Removed.
What about your sPL/PE1>iM?
Removed.
When you do the deck squats, are your feet together or apart? Do they cave inward?
When you do ur quad stretch do you feel pressure on your knee?
Removed.
If you're falling over doing deck squats with feet closer together, it's a calves tightness issue. Especially since you have flat feet
Avoid knees caving in, that puts stress on the knee.
Get into PPT before stretching quads will lessen pressure on knees. Btw, is there specific reason you choose to stretch quads?
Removed.
Does it hurt when you do a normal squat or is it only from deck squats? Or is it skiers instead of deck squats? Since skiers is a knee medial/lateral rotation whereas deck squats is knee extension/flexion.
Usually if you're looking at medial pain, then it could be from the attachments in muscles like sartorius, medial hamstrings (semitendonisus/semimembronous), or even hip adductors like the gracilis.
How are your other movements in Foundation? Usually the knee's a joint that compensates for lack of mobility in the joints above and below (hips and ankles), so how's your mobility there? There's lots of factors to consider so best advice for supplementary work is extra massage work, particularly upper and lower legs.
Foam rolling my Tensor fascia Lata helped when I had similar pain
Removed.
alan tseng said:Does it hurt when you do a normal squat or is it only from deck squats? Or is it skiers instead of deck squats? Since skiers is a knee medial/lateral rotation whereas deck squats is knee extension/flexion.
Usually if you're looking at medial pain, then it could be from the attachments in muscles like sartorius, medial hamstrings (semitendonisus/semimembronous), or even hip adductors like the gracilis.
Hey Alan I have similar medial knee pain that is exacerbated by the deck squats. I have been working on and am pretty sure that its something to do with the muscles you mentioned and their insertion. What do you recommend in terms of stretching and strengthening them? (if that is what you suggested) and if not, any ideas or thoughts? Thanks so much!
Rafa said:Hey Alan I have similar medial knee pain that is exacerbated by the deck squats. I have been working on and am pretty sure that its something to do with the muscles you mentioned and their insertion. What do you recommend in terms of stretching and strengthening them? (if that is what you suggested) and if not, any ideas or thoughts? Thanks so much!
Does your knees cave inwards when you do deck squats while you're coming back up?
gymnaxis said:... Should I reduce my ROM on the skiers for a few weeks? ...
Yes.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
alan tseng said:Does your knees cave inwards when you do deck squats while you're coming back up?
Yea it used to a lot. Now less. Since then I have been working on stretching all of my gluteal muscles and muscles in legs, as well as squats with a band around the knees, and sidestepping with band around ankle to strengthen gluteus medius and all of those muscles. May also throw in squats with something between my knees to squeeze on. I have noticed when I relax at the squat position (butt to heels) that there is more space between the medial joint line of the knee with more pain.
I spent last year trying to get rid of pattelar tendonitis. Almost there, I can run up to 10K today and no problem after. Few months ago running in general was out of question. Pay close attention to how you squat. There are many things that you might be doind wrong (squat is the most technical of all slow lifts) and either heavy weight or high rep even without any weight will evetually irritate your ligaments aroung knee joint. The most common mistake for someone who never paid attention to how you squat would be initiating squat by squatting down instead of pushing your hips back. It causes knees to travel far beyond your toes and creating acute angle in your knee joint that stresses ligaments too much. Ideally your knees should not be passing vertical line where your toes end. Depending on your body proportions and hips flexibility it might be a bit different but at 90 deg angle that exercise you are currently doing your knees should not even get close to plane of reference created by your toes.
Another common problem valgus knees (caving in) is also hips flexibility repated, but mostly happens when you do heavy squats and do not know how to engage proper muscles to push your knees apart. It is rarely the problem for light high rep squats unless you are really tired and not used to control where your knees go.
You have to wait until your knees are pain free before getting back to exercise if you do not want to end up with tendonitis. Connective tissue takes very long time to heal compared to muscles, especially knees that are working all day long and there are no blood vessels in ligaments.
RF_Guy said:
Another common problem valgus knees (caving in) is also hips flexibility repated, but mostly happens when you do heavy squats and do not know how to engage proper muscles to push your knees apart. It is rarely the problem for light high rep squats unless you are really tired and not used to control where your knees go.
]
Thank you so much for this! I naturally walk with a slight valgus, but I never knew the right term. It's contributed to tight ankles and weak glute medius, which I'm only just discovering as I do F1. I did a quick google search and found a site with exercises, and they hit home! Tried a few and wow, I feel the weaknesses exactly. Here's the link if anyone else is interested:
It says to take up to three months to correct, though with my life-long pattern it might be longer. Whatever, as long as my knees stay safe that is the main goal.
Thanks RF and Jonathan, I developed this issue when squatting pretty intensely hoping to prepare for soccer. At the time it was more of doing too much too soon without properly stretching, but with chronic pain I sort of laid off exercise for about a year. Now getting back into it and learning all of these things; I have begun to incorporate pete egoscue "pain free" (thanks for that recommendation Naterman) to help realign the hips as well as knees. Bret Contreras article as well and other sources such as https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/6749-recommended-therapy-for-flat-feet/ (a thread on arch strength and its importance. It also diverts into talking about proper squatting and knee valgus and all this stuff)