This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapula in MN/PE1>iM & HS/PE1>iM

Started by John105, March 16, 2014 · 2 Replies · 194 Views

John105

This link describes the position of the scapula in various exercises:

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/5959-scapula-position-for-basic-and-static-exercises/

 

A month ago, in MN/PE1>iM, Straight Leg Windmill, I realized that I was trying to pull the arm into the shoulder joint when doing Windmills, trying to stabilize it. It suddenly occured to me that, according to the link, I should "push/pull your shoulder in the opposite direction that it wants to go."

So, from the standing/start position I pushed my shoulder to my ear like in a handstand and as I moved down I tried to push the weight away from my body directly upward against the pull (push?) of gravity. It made the movement a little more fluid and then later in the day my traps started aching in a (good) way that I had not felt before. They were also sore the next day. I had the same experience the next time I did this movement.

 

Today, I was doing HS/PE1>iM, Seated Shoulder Flexion and thought I should push the barbell up, bringing my shoulders to my ears, like in a HS, and then move into flexion still pushing up and away. Again I have been rewarded with some residual soreness today.

 

It feels good but I wanted to run it by the coaches to make sure this was the right way to work these exercises.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

John

Coach Sommer

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

There's a particular feeling, like my scapulae are outlined in what I think of as a line border of tension/ mild DOMs, that I associate with the day after a particularly productive session on scap str/mobility.