This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A nice, slight modification to HS/PE1>im

Started by Micawberian, March 16, 2014 · 6 Replies · 303 Views

Micawberian

Hello all,

As I enter the last few stages of preparatory exercises, I've noticed a modification to PE1>im has been helping me to straighten my line. It's simple; do the drill standing up.

 

This exercise has been great for me to help perfect the handstand line. Since I can choose the weight on the barbell, I can stay in this modified im1 much longer than I can stay in a handstand (say 2 minutes, no problem), and I can take my time looking at myself in the mirror to correct the form. The advantage over the normal im1 is simply that my torso is perpendicular to the floor, making it much easier to visual the line of the back. A perpendicular torso also makes it easier to flex the shoulders, allowing me to spend more time in the drill.

 

Standing up with im1 allows me to spend a lot of time to work on PPT, ribs in, and shoulder flexion, and experimenting with degrees of effort (for example, what happens if I PPT more or less, how does my body compensate if I stick the ribs out). it has overall been great for getting to know my body better. I can focus on the fine details of the HS form and zero in on what part of my body is creating the problem of a bad HS line.

 

Anyways, hope this idea helps someone. i guess it does not really provide much help if you are still on PE1-6. But for people working on the actual handstand, this modified drill has helped me improve my form by leaps and bounds.

Primate

Awesome to know.  Personally for me I need to do it sitting down as my pelvic control is a huge mobility issue for me.  If I do this exercise standing up, it is too easy for me to inadvertently tilt my pelvis forward and increase the lumbar curve, which I don't want to do in a handstand!  Sitting down and leaning forward allows me to isolate my thoracic spine and ensure that I am doing the correct thing with my shoulders without having to worry about my lower back at the same time

Bipocni

I've accidentally done it standing up a few times because I forgot to sit down.  Yeah, it's pretty good in the thoracic spine.

Jon Douglas

Matter of fact I do this standing as well; simply because I do flexion, extension, dislocates in a quick series.

Bipocni
Jon Douglas said:

Matter of fact I do this standing as well; simply because I do flexion, extension, dislocates in a quick series.

Any tips how to transfer the dowel back for extension?  I find it awkward trying to switch my grip around without displacing the plates in the middle.

 

Actually, now that I think about it, I could probably switch to dorsal while my hands are in front of my body...

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

Any tips how to transfer the dowel back for extension?  I find it awkward trying to switch my grip around without displacing the plates in the middle.

 

Actually, now that I think about it, I could probably switch to dorsal while my hands are in front of my body...

Remove one hand and move bar to back of body :) don't forget to regrip with the first hand after the transfer, this is a common rookie mistake that will sabotage your progress.

MattProulx

I did these standing up today with a 20lb bar and for the first time in a long time I actually felt it in my traps.