Having trouble with self-myofascial realease. Trigger points not releasing.

Started by ZeroGravityFox, March 15, 2014 · 4 Replies · 2,556 Views

ZeroGravityFox

So in the past when I have foam rolled, Ive rested on the knots/trigger points and after about 30 seconds or so, they release. But now, I'm having issues with them releasing. like I'll rest on the knot for a few minutes and nothing.. Although it feels like I have way more than I used to, I guess since I haven't done so in so long. Any advice? By the way.. I'm not even sure if I foam roll correctly. This is how I do it, correct me if I'm so I can do it right.

 

1. Get on foam roller find trigger point and rest on it until it releases while breathing deeply

 

2. If it doesn't release I move to the less painful surrounding area and break up that tissue first and find the larger knot again.

 

If they are really bad will they not release until repeated sessions? My adductors and quads are really bad, calves too. Maybe this will explain a lot of my knee popping and grinding? IT band is a bit painful but not anywhere as bad as my quads and adductors. Hamstrings are a bit worse than my IT bands but less than quads and adductors. Thank you guys for any advice :)

 

P.S. quads have always been really painful and the worst when foam rolling. Why is that?

Micawberian

Instead of resting you can try actively running the foam roller over the trigger point, applying force in ONE direction for a block of time. You can also take to a hard ball or your finger tips to deal more pressure to the trigger point, which I prefer over a foam roller.

Bipocni
ZeroGravityFox said:

P.S. quads have always been really painful and the worst when foam rolling. Why is that?

You may have really tight hip flexors.  'Quads' is a bit vague, because there's 4 of them and they are all on different parts of the leg.  (well, inner, outer and upper thigh)

ZeroGravityFox
Micawberian said:

Instead of resting you can try actively running the foam roller over the trigger point, applying force in ONE direction for a block of time. You can also take to a hard ball or your finger tips to deal more pressure to the trigger point, which I prefer over a foam roller.

I could try that. I've noticed before too that I've seemed to have good results just rolling over the roam roller, but I've heard people say that it just "pisses off" the muscle instead of relaxing it. Also for some reason my VMO muscle has always been very tender when rolling. Any reason it could be?
Micawberian
ZeroGravityFox said:

I could try that. I've noticed before too that I've seemed to have good results just rolling over the roam roller, but I've heard people say that it just "pisses off" the muscle instead of relaxing it. Also for some reason my VMO muscle has always been very tender when rolling. Any reason it could be?

Both constant pressure and a dynamic massage work. Whoever told you that is wrong.

 

For your VM, Try massaging other muscles for trigger points. Consider if your adductor longus, brevis, or magnus may be referring pain there.