Hello there,
I have been contemplating building a set of stall bars.
Primarily because the stall bars, that are available in the facility where I train are of sub-par quality, and also not even securely mounted in the wall!
I have seen a few very nice home builds, on this site.
https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/4670-homemade-stall-bars-a-basement-project/
What I have gleaned from the DIY descriptions, and elsewhere, is that:
- a proper stall bar is about 8" tall, 3" wide.
- The number of dowels can by modified according to the needs.
- The dowels should be made from a hardwood with ash being number one, but beach, hickory or poplar being contenders. The main issue would be using a first grade wood, with out any gnarls.
- The Dowels should be around 1 and 3/8" (35mm) - but I am guessing that anything between 33-42mm could do?
My questions are the following:
- Should the dowels be oval in shape, or is round acceptable?
- What are the size range for dowel diameter? ( Should I opt for 32mm or 42mm? )
- I have noted that there are two basic stall bar designs, #1 - with the dowels spaced with eqi-distance and one dowel off set at the top. #2 - another design has a "hole" at the top, in the dowel spacing, allowing freedom from pressure on the head and neck, when hanging from the off set dowels. - I am opting for option #2, since the stall bars I have worked with so far, because my bodily proportion has caused a dowel to smash my neck in while doing hanging leg lifts.
- Is there a standard or accepted lay-out for design #2 or is it build to fit?
- I would like to be able to do Nordic Hamstring Curls / Natural Leg Curls from the stall bar, any obvious modifications to the design with this in mind?
regards,
Frederik