This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WP, FKP, FTP, WR Question

Started by jwalker497, March 13, 2014 · 9 Replies · 403 Views

jwalker497

Why are the reps so low on these?  I feel like I dont get a benefit?  Can someone please explain this?  Also, for WP as an example.  If I start with the right hand, then do the left - is that a complete rep.  Do I start with the left hand on the next rep?   Im confused on counting reps for these - same as FKP, FTP, WR as well. 

Bipocni

You're building strength in the tendons.  You won't necessarily feel it like you would with muscular exertion.  In fact, if you do, you may be running the risk of injuring yourself.  Building up to high reps of these is like building up to an overuse injury.

 

Don't worry, they're still working for you, even if you don't think they are.  If you already have some experience with planche work you'll know what I'm talking about soon enough.

 

I'm pretty sure up and down on each hand counts as a rep, not starting on each hand.  So I like to start my sets with one hand on even sets, and the other on odd sets....

Joshua Slocum

One rep is both hands up and down. You can start with whichever hand you want on the next rep. 

 

If the volume is too low for you, why not just move forward a microcycle? 

jwalker497

I could move fwd but just seems very odd to me that 5 reps is  the max - just seems very low.  

Keilani Gutierrez

I agree that doing 5x5 for mastery is allright, but for warm up purposes, by all means you can do 2x10 to save time after you get proficient at a certain progression. 

RJS
Bipocni said:

You're building strength in the tendons.  You won't necessarily feel it like you would with muscular exertion.  In fact, if you do, you may be running the risk of injuring yourself.  Building up to high reps of these is like building up to an overuse injury.

 

Don't worry, they're still working for you, even if you don't think they are.  If you already have some experience with planche work you'll know what I'm talking about soon enough.

This is so very true.

Nick Roy

Yea, I didn't feel tired after PE1 for all wrist exercises. However, I don't feel like I'm doing the wrist rocks properly. When I rock up I just feel a stretch in the top portion of my forearm, but no real work in the wrist. Then when I rock down I feel my like my triceps and shoulders are flexing. I don't feel my wrists musculature at all like I do with the other wrist pe's. My pride wants to say, oh I'm just strong so it's nothing, but I want to be sure I'm getting the most out of the pe's. Does anyone here have any cue's to insure proper wrist rock form?

Keilani Gutierrez

easy. try to do a parallette handstand. you'll understand why Wrist Rock is so important. it's about muscling the wrist into that position, not just allowing it to flop there. I'm not implying you are, i am stating the obvious so if someone is doing it, they can benefit from knowing that. use muscular effort and don't move your wrist past the point where you can control it. same with bending the wrist / bending the elbow portion. really try to point the circle you make by curling your index finger and thumb that you try to point it as far towards the inside of your elbow as you can. 

 

enjoy. :) the one time I was practicing some handstand holds on the paralletes, doing the portion where you bend the elbow helps counter balance before you fall back to plank position. the portion where you move the fist forwards is to correct an over balancing. it's extremely helpful if you give it a try to really feel if you have the strength or not for it. then you'll apply the same feeling of "muscling" the wrist around so you strengthen it for the handstand. i assume it also must help in some way to stabilize the wrist while in free standing one a floor. 

 

me thinks. 

Nick Roy

I think I understand. You're saying I'm probably compensating by flexing at the triceps and shoulders because I'm not engaging my wrist flexors enough for the movement?

Keilani Gutierrez
Nick Roy said:

I think I understand. You're saying I'm probably compensating by flexing at the triceps and shoulders because I'm not engaging my wrist flexors enough for the movement?

impossible to know without a video, but it's what I did and also what a few of the people ive shown the exercise do.