This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can We Use Some Momentum at the Top of FKP SE4?

Started by Nash, March 12, 2014 · 6 Replies · 222 Views

Nash

I find that if I do it with 0 momentum I'm unable to lift both hands simultaneously. One raises before the other.

The athelete in vid seems to be using some momentum, but I could be wrong.

So question is: should I hang out at SE4 with momentum and decrease it with time or rollback to se3?

MT Nordic

I agree with you the athlete in the video does seem to use some momentum.  I'm curious about the formal word on this, but would guess we should work towards as little momentum as possible.  I don't think that means you need to roll back, just gradually work on lessening the momentum.  I'm doing these now as well, and must admit it's dang hard without any momentum, though i'm not really sure how you can completely avoid momentum when it's a pushup into that position.

Keilani Gutierrez

why not just warm up with a progression you can do with zero momentum? do you like the FKP walks, Nash?

Nash
KeilaniG said:

why not just warm up with a progression you can do with zero momentum? do you like the FKP walks, Nash?

:) No not really, but with SE3 it's actually too easy. Fully extended and with PPT (straight as an arrow), I can FKP with ease. But when I'm in plank position it's a big jump in difficulty.

 

 

MT Nordic said:

I agree with you the athlete in the video does seem to use some momentum.  I'm curious about the formal word on this, but would guess we should work towards as little momentum as possible.  I don't think that means you need to roll back, just gradually work on lessening the momentum.  I'm doing these now as well, and must admit it's dang hard without any momentum, though i'm not really sure how you can completely avoid momentum when it's a pushup into that position.

 

Also, in the comments it says "1) Continue to move with as slow a speed as you can manage; remember that the fingers must remain flat." This "you can manage" sounds to me like use momentum, but as little as you can.

Bro'
Nash said:

Also, in the comments it says "1) Continue to move with as slow a speed as you can manage; remember that the fingers must remain flat." This "you can manage" sounds to me like use momentum, but as little as you can.

 

 

That's what it means to me too. Also, it's your last progression anyway so all there is to do is actually refine it.

KibboKift

I think you more or less answered your own question there Nash: Simply use as much momentum as you need to at this stage and reduce slowly over time.

 

After all, no one is going to give you a prize for mastering SE4 :) , you're going to keep doing the exercise anyway. You may decide eventually to try elevating your feet. Or you might decide, once you can do SE4 very slowly, that that is enough and just aim to maintain your strength.

 

If you're looking for an intermediate step, you could try elevating your hands to reduce the load slightly.

 

Just my thoughts anyway. Well done in progressing so far by the way. I'm still working on getting my first knuckles to 90 degrees!

Jon Douglas

A little momentum is fine to start.

Slower is better though-- aim to slow it down over time