This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New to F1

Started by kdharani, March 11, 2014 · 5 Replies · 266 Views

kdharani

Hello everyone,

 

I am new to F1 and would like to use it as my routine in the gym in place of strength training. I want to integrate H1 into the routine but I would need to find time at home to do H1 in between F1 days. I am familiar with GST, OG, and the Ido methods. It was thanks to Coach's famous DragonDoor article that got me interested in this type of training. I have training on and off with rings for a couple of years but never made any progress due to the ADHD training syndrome and gaining weight from weghtlifting. I did however keep joint prep (ankle, wrist) and hip mobility exercises as a daily routine.

 

Currently, I do strength training three times a week. I do a full body workout each workout. My stats are routine are as follows:

 

29 y/o

5 foot 8 inches

165 pounds

 

Squat - 3x5 - 200 lbs

Pull ups - working up to 5x5, currently at 5,4,4,3,3

Dips - alternate between ring dips (3x5) one workout and weighted dips next work out (3x5 30 lbs)

Back lever training - One legged back lever 4x10s

HeSPU progressions - 3x5 with legs on box

Deadlift once a week - 1x5 - 235 lbs

 

I only have time to go to the gym 3 times a week for around 1 hr but could stretch it to 1.5. My current routine clocks in just under an hour.

 

I was following the OG template and felt like I was making good progress but I realize that F1 balances and prepares your body for further GST training. It is quite different from what I am used to understanding about bodyweight work being split between push/pull and vertical/horizontal/etc. If I stick to my current routine I am worried I will exacerbate the imbalances I have and I will hit plateaus much faster.

 

Now I have read other threads where people are mentioning how they feel much stronger even within a few months, but I am still somewhat concerned about losing strength I have developed. I realize the intensity with a clean diet will keep making me grow but I am just not sure in what way. (for the better I am sure lol) 

 

My other concerns are with equipment. I plan to do this at the local big name gym. Most of the exercises I see I can do on the floor. The early stall bar exercises I can make use of a bar and squat rack. But does anyone have any other tips? I am not sure what to use for the straddle running man when I get there. Also for the hanging leg raises, I will need to find something for that. Lastly, to note, I cannot setup any custom equipment where I live, not even a pull up bar, which is why I go to the local gym.

 

Another question in regards to mastery, if I can do week 11 coupled with the iM for my first workout, do I leave it at that for the specific workout? So if I can do mastery for SLS/PE1 + iM today, would I attempt to see where I am for SLS/PE2 immediately or leave that for the next workout that week? 

 

In regards to integrating F1 and H1, the schedule mentions to do the full F7 exercises 3x a week and the H1 exercises 3x a week. Anyone with experience, how long would it take to do the full F7 workout? Would an hour be sufficient? Any comments on recovery as only one day a week would be dedicated to rest? I know I will have to play with these variables myself, but I would like to try and make a plan that I can stick to as early as possible.

 

Last question in regards to supplementing my workout. I read that F1 is a full workout that doesn't need supplementing. I know occasionally at the gym, I will probably want to pump out pull ups, dips, or some squats. I know it will conflict with my recovery if I do it too often, so maybe I should keep it to once every couple weeks. Is it needed or would it have any benefit other than making me feel better about myself?

 

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. Sorry if it is a bit all over the place. I am really excited to start this program. It has only been recently that I learned that consistency and clean diet are key. I have made progress in other programs such as 5x5 and saw my body do things I didn't believe possible, so I want to follow the same discipline of hard work but towards gymnastic goals that I've always wanted to attain.

 

 

 

 

 

Joshua Slocum
kdharani said:

Now I have read other threads where people are mentioning how they feel much stronger even within a few months, but I am still somewhat concerned about losing strength I have developed. I realize the intensity with a clean diet will keep making me grow but I am just not sure in what way. (for the better I am sure lol)

After your Foundation workouts, you can toss in some light maintenance work - do the skills you're worried about maintaining strength in, but at a light volume.

 

My other concerns are with equipment. I plan to do this at the local big name gym. Most of the exercises I see I can do on the floor. The early stall bar exercises I can make use of a bar and squat rack. But does anyone have any other tips? I am not sure what to use for the straddle running man when I get there. Also for the hanging leg raises, I will need to find something for that. Lastly, to note, I cannot setup any custom equipment where I live, not even a pull up bar, which is why I go to the local gym.

For the straddle running man, any bench should be fine. It shouldn't be hard to find one at a gym. Also look into whether there are any playgrounds in your area - they often have bars and other equipment that is quite useful for Foundation.

 

Another question in regards to mastery, if I can do week 11 coupled with the iM for my first workout, do I leave it at that for the specific workout? So if I can do mastery for SLS/PE1 + iM today, would I attempt to see where I am for SLS/PE2 immediately or leave that for the next workout that week?

You can do either. If PE1 was super easy and you still feel like you have a lot of energy left, then feel free to try mastery of PE2. But if you're tired after PE1 and think you need to rest before attempting to master PE2, that's fine, too.

 

In regards to integrating F1 and H1, the schedule mentions to do the full F7 exercises 3x a week and the H1 exercises 3x a week. Anyone with experience, how long would it take to do the full F7 workout? Would an hour be sufficient? Any comments on recovery as only one day a week would be dedicated to rest? I know I will have to play with these variables myself, but I would like to try and make a plan that I can stick to as early as possible.

You should not start out with F7 3x/week. That is a very high amount of volume, and most people will progress best with something more like F7 2x/week or the standard 4x/week Foundation template. [Also note that the volume at which you'll progress fastest is less than the maximum volume you can handle: beyond a certain point, more work just cuts into your recovery and you're spinning your wheels] The amount of time it takes to do F7 will vary depending on which exercises you're on and which week you're on. It can take a bit more than an hour if you're doing very high reps for all the exercises, but generally you should be able to do it in under and hour if you're dilligent about keeping up the pace. Handstand work is far less strenuous than Foundation work - it's not going to make you nearly as sore as Foundation will. You could even do it in the same day if you wanted to.

 

Last question in regards to supplementing my workout. I read that F1 is a full workout that doesn't need supplementing. I know occasionally at the gym, I will probably want to pump out pull ups, dips, or some squats. I know it will conflict with my recovery if I do it too often, so maybe I should keep it to once every couple weeks. Is it needed or would it have any benefit other than making me feel better about myself?

Treat it as entertainment. Foundation is work. Messing around with dips and pullups is play. Each day you do Foundation, reward yourself *after* finishing with 10-20 minutes of play-time. Just don't go too crazy and mess up your recovery.

kdharani

Thank you Joshua! Both for the fast reply and your insights. You answered the questions I had and I feel a lot more confident starting this program after work today.

Joshua Slocum
kdharani said:

Thank you Joshua! Both for the fast reply and your insights. You answered the questions I had and I feel a lot more confident starting this program after work today.

Glad I could help. If you have more questions, ask away!

kdharani

Hi Joshua, 

 

I ended up doing F7 on Tuesday after work and I really enjoyed it. I think this will make for a great strength routine.

 

Like you mentioned, doing F7 was quite strenuous. It had been a long time since I felt so sore the next day like that (which was great!). My concern is like you mentioned about F7 cutting into my recovery. I am wondering if it is better to switch to the three day template or four day. Since I only have time to go to the gym 3x a week, I know I could do the 3 day template for sure but if I get a dumbbell I can do the MN, SL, SLS day at home and FL, sPL, HBP, RC at the gym twice a week. I am leaning towards to the 4 day because you get to do all the exercises twice a week, and the more frequency the better to learn the movement.

 

If I did F7 on Tuesday, should I finish my week with another F7 on Friday and then start the 4 day template next week Monday?

Joshua Slocum

Yeah, I would do that. 

 

You could also play around with F7 2x/week, or one F7 session and one split session per week.