This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginner Gymnastics/Olympic Lifting Program

Started by GoldSolace, March 11, 2014 · 0 Replies · 4 Views

GoldSolace

I’ve just started gymnastics styled training and found this website. I’ve done my research over the past couple weeks and put together a basic workout routine to develop what I consider a well rounded athlete. I have a background in martial arts (5 years of Taekwondo) which has created a stable base to begin working off.

 

The goals of this training are:

- Increased overall fitness/strength/flexibility/health.

- Front/Back/Side Levers

- Straddle Planche hold/push ups

- One Arm Chin Up

- Muscle Up

- Handstand hold/push ups/press

- Full Splits

 

The training styles I’ve incorporated include; Gymnastics’ FSP (Fundamental Static Positions), Gymnastics’ FBE (Foundamental Bodyweight Exercises), Full Body Stretching, Olympic Lifting & Plyometric Sprint training.

 

The program is a 6 day/week alternating between upperbody and lowerbody focus.

 

Monday: FSP, FBE(Upper Body), Core, Stretching

Tuesday: Lifting, Sprint Training, Core, Stretching

Wednesday: FSP, FBE(Upper Body), Core, Stretching

Thursday: FSP,FBE(Lower Body), Core, Stretching

Friday: Gymnastics Tumbling Class (2 Hours), Core, Stretching

Saturday: FSP, FBE(Upper Body), Core, Stretching

Sunday: Rest

 

Workouts:

FSP:

FL/BL/SL/PL/HS Variation Holds

5 sets of hardest variation holds for 3s adding 3s each week until next variation can be held for at least 6s. (5x3s, 5x6s, 5x9s, 5x12s, etc)
 

FBE (Upper Body):

Vertical Pushing/Pulling, Horizontal Pushing/Pulling & Multi-plane Pushing/Pulling variations (including negative skill work)

5 sets of 5 reps of hardest variation working towards easier variations throughout the workout
FBE (Lower Body):

Single-leg/Double-leg squat & plyometric(jumps) variations

5 sets of 5 reps of hardest variation working towards easier variations throughout the workout

Core:

Hollow/Arch Holds, Hanging Leg Lift/Reverse Leg Lift/Side Wipers, Front/Side/Back plank holds

3 sets of max reps/holds

Lifting:

5x3 Snatch, 5x3 Clean, 5x3 Front Squat, 5x3 Dead-lift, 5x3 Overhead Press

Stretching:

30s stretch holds for every muscle

Progress:

3/03/2014

Beginner Body:

- Age: 19

- Height: 175cm

- Weight: 84.2kgs

- Body Fat: 18.2%

- Fat Mass: 15.3kgs

- Lean Body Mass: 68.9kgs

 

Beginning FSP:

1)      FL – Tuck FL 9s

2)      BL – Tuck BL  13s

3)      SL – SL 2s

4)      HS – Free HS 7s

5)      PL – Tuck PL 5s

 

Beginning FBE:

1)      Pull ups – 14

2)      Chin Ups – 23

3)      Dips – 13

4)      Push ups – 34

5)      HSPu (against wall) – 2 Full ROM

6)      Pistol Squat – 3 each leg

 

Beginning Lifting:

1)      Front Sq – 85kgs

2)      Clean – 40kgs

3)      Snatch – 20kgs (Just Bar)

4)      Dead-lift – 145kgs

5)      Bench (won’t be training) – 90kgs

6)      Back Sq (won’t be training) – 110kgs

7)      Overhead Press – 50kgs

 

 

17/03/2014

Progress Update

2 weeks in and already seeing significant improvement

I've achieved a kipping muscle up, 5 second OAC negative, 3x3 30kg weighted dips/pullups. I've moved onto 5x9s Front tuck lever, 5x9s Planche Lean, 60s wall handstand (with kicking out from the wall).

 

 

 

I can’t wait to see how my progress develops.