This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/SE1 > iM

Started by HamdiC, March 10, 2014 · 41 Replies · 1,916 Views

William
B1214N said:

The easiest way of getting into the position is to start with the knees and hands on the floor while the body is already in a half straddle and then bend and lean forward with the arms while simultaneously trying to lift your hips off the floor. That way you can enter into the position right away and you shouldn't really have to make any adjustments.

 

The hardest way (strength wise) to enter the position is to push up into it from prone position.

i will give this a try. i still have doms from my last f7 day with this iM in it, like crazy haha

LateStarter@46

Well it's good that you are getting DOMS :-) I'm not getting DOMS and have only been feeling the intensity in the biceps, must be doing something wrong :-(

William
LateStarter@46 said:

Well it's good that you are getting DOMS :-) I'm not getting DOMS and have only been feeling the intensity in the biceps, must be doing something wrong :-(

i guess i have this hard doms, because i tried to "jump" into the position like the video guy and tried to hold protracted shoulders, hardest doms are in trapecius area. just brutal! biceps isn't wrong, actually you need the most of you body and biceps is indeed involved a lot, its a static exercise, kinda, and getting in to it your biceps has to work to speed you down i guess :)

LateStarter@46

Thank you for the reassurance :-)

...and the next question is, why are you trying to protract your shoulders when you're in the bottom of a push-up position? The video model seems to have his shoulders half-way between pro- and re-traction.

William
LateStarter@46 said:

Thank you for the reassurance :-)

...and the next question is, why are you trying to protract your shoulders when you're in the bottom of a push-up position? The video model seems to have his shoulders half-way between pro- and re-traction.

Haha, no problem :)

 

not sure, but i thought we are supposed to be depressed and protracted at same time in end position, its all about these two things in the whole sPl-Stuff, but might be wrong. But it the iM of the frog stand, after that comes tucked planche and so on...there you need protracted and retracted shoulders anyway

ausswe

Think the idea is to always strive for as much protraction as you can but some positions are impossible to be fully protracted but you try anyway. That's my take on it anyway

William

did somebody tried the grease to groove approach on this iM? i mean for an iM its kinda hart, so one has to be careful to not overtrain it, right?

meras

I don't think greasing ot would be much of a problem if you have mastered PPP. You'd just be ading time to the botom position and it's also not a straight arm strength element, so you're no risking your elbow.

William
meras said:

I don't think greasing ot would be much of a problem if you have mastered PPP. You'd just be ading time to the botom position and it's also not a straight arm strength element, so you're no risking your elbow.

Ok, sounds good to me. my biggest problem besides holding the position itself are my wrists i guess, though i hope i dont have to place my hands any lower to my hips, they are low enough compared to video, but i dont know where i am lacking the power to hold this position...shouldergirdle?

Olof Johansson

I began working on this a few weeks ago. At first I couldn´t find the balance at all. Then I read this thread and focused on:

 

1. Trying to keep scapula protracted.

2. Leaning into the position like the athlete in the demo video. Thinking of it as a pseudo planche push-up with legs in the air.

3. Keeping my beard from touching the floor.

 

I can now stay on my hands for 10s, but with hips a lot higher than in the demo.

I can go into a position with hips nearly at the same height as shoulders but after a few seconds I feel like I´m going to faint and I lose vision, it blackens.

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxALiq5C-Bf3MDdGeVpSYjg2ZTQ/edit?usp=sharing

 

Is it normal to almost pass out? Will the body adapt to this over time?

Coach Sommer
Olof Johansson said:

... I can now stay on my hands for 10s, but with hips a lot higher than in the demo ... I can go into a position with hips nearly at the same height as shoulders but after a few seconds I feel like I´m going to faint and I lose vision, it blackens ...

The faintness is probably due to holding your breath. You should be able to take shallow breaths during your static position.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

LateStarter@46

Wheee! After nearly 6 months, I've hit my first 10s  :D 

 

https://vimeo.com/104517021/ password: progress

 

Not perfect yet, but so nice to break out of the rut.

 

Any advice/tips welcome, thank you.

meras

As an unqualified internet stranger, it looks like a great start but I'd stay with it for anothe microcycle or two. Based on course materia, I'd say you could strive for more height and avoid putting your nose/chin on the floor.

 

Also .. you don't look 46, are you lying to us all?

 

 

edit: one more thing. In the course video the athlete has his shins/feet go perpendicular to the floor. In your case the feet are almost touching. Replicating that perpendicular position might give you some hellish cramps :)

LateStarter@46

Thanks meras for the good tips. Yes I'll be staying on this for a while yet.

 

No, I'm 47 now  :)

surfboard

Ok folks...thanks for the replies. We worked out that by putting a green pull up band around the top of the thighs helps get the balance right! It's only a matter of time

LateStarter@46

Make sure your hands are at the same level as the band, otherwise you'll be counter-balancing :-)

bigB

I found this movement is a little easier to build time if you can do it from an elevated platform.

This gives you more time under tension because you're still holding the position even if your legs go below the level of your hands.

I use panel mats.