This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Transition to F7 twice a week?

Started by Ravn, March 10, 2014 · 16 Replies · 529 Views

Ravn

I am considering shifting to a F7 routine twice a week.

 

I have recently passed HBR; therefore I am past the high-rep progressions, and am mostly in low-rep territory, which makes it feasible to think about F7.

 

My elbows are also beginning to feel the strain of the tuck planche progression. The planche workout is not painful, but it feels like the elbows are not fully recovered before the next planche session; Or in other words, the stimulus is adequate, whereas recovery is not.

 

What are your thoughts?

 

Would it be a good idea to also do H1 on the same day, to get some truly uninterupted rest days?

Jon Douglas

Are you still finding the H1 irritating your injured shoulder?

Ravn

I've cut out any dislocate work, and my shoulder is fine. However, I'm beginning HS/PE5 this week, so we'll see how that goes. Perhaps the shoulder will be less aggravated without wide L-pullups and russian L-dips.

Murray Truelove

Once I get to the lower rep stuff I'm planning to move to F(7). If only to free up some time.

Keep us posted on how you find it.

Ravn

Update:

Intended to try F7 today, but after FL, sPL, HBP and RC, I was literally trembling, so fuggedaboudid. Came straight from deload week, and tried mastery for FL and RC, so that may be why. Daayymn, I'm spent right now; It's a good feeling though :)

William

I want to try 2x F7 too, just started F2, but witht he most stuff im out of high reps scheme :)
Keep us informed about it!

Duff

You might want to slowly transition from 4x a week(workout A: FL, sPL, HBP, RC, workout B: Mn, SL, SLS) to F7 2x a week by moving one element from workout B to workout A and then another and another.

Fede HD

I'm trying right now to work F(6) on M/T and SL,H1 on T/F leaving W/S for conditioning and stretching. I'm on the end of SL/PE1 and I just can't do SL with the other F exercises. But still I want to heading towards working F(7), just wating until SL/PE1-2 will be done!  

Ravn

I guess I have abandoned the idea, seems like the workouts are becoming way too long, and I am usually pretty zapped after just a normal workout. I don't think I'd be able to do quality work at the end of a F7 session. It is also easier for me to fit in a short session in my schedule.

ausswe

It is recommended to eventually work up to f7 right? If so I kind of like the idea of adding one exercise from workout day b to workout day a every so often. Would that be acceptable? Right now the split has become much easier so at the end of a workout I am not completely wasted like I used to be but I am not nearly ready for f7

Jon Douglas

It's not necessary to be training F7. It IS necessary to thoroughly master the elements so that having finished F4 you can put up the warmup numbers described in R1 2-3 times a week :) Last I heard Daniel Burnham was thriving on the 5-day split, and he was well on the way to finishing F4 before his shoulder injury.

 

 

(Coach, if you were to put your expected Rings warmup standard publicly somewhere as the goal of the Foundation series, I think a lot of people would find it enlightening. I was intimidated by it, but it also helped clarify the mindset and standards for F level work. There's certainly no way of cheating your way through it)

 

 

Whenever I think about adding more training (because I enjoy it), I remind myself of the whole point of the Foundation series. As Coach has said a few times, 'first [we] make you strong, then [we] build work capacity'.
Get strong and mobile enough to make it worthwhile (productive + safe = worthwhile) putting in the time and effort building up endurance and power. However many or few sessions a week is optimal for you to move through Foundation (ie. GST basics) to get your conditioning toolbox sorted out, do that many. The point is not to do as much as you can-- *yet*.

I think the Movement series release will probably put a lot of questions to rest for many people :)

Murray Truelove
Jon Douglas said:

(Coach, if you were to put your expected Rings warmup standard publicly somewhere as the goal of the Foundation series, I think a lot of people would find it enlightening. I was intimidated by it, but it also helped clarify the mindset and standards for F level work. There's certainly no way of cheating your way through it)

Now that I would like to know!

Jon Douglas
Murray Truelove said:

Now that I would like to know!

It's nuts. It would also make a cool rite of passage to film it as people move through the curriculum; I hope that will catch on in due course :)

Ravn
Jon Douglas said:

It's nuts. It would also make a cool rite of passage to film it as people move through the curriculum; I hope that will catch on in due course :)

Intriguing to say the least, Jon. You have a nasty habit of almost dropping info. Subtle, but effective  <_<

Jon Douglas
Ravn said:

Intriguing to say the least, Jon. You have a nasty habit of almost dropping info. Subtle, but effective  <_<

I honestly wish I could film it and assuage your curiosity; however, LOLNOPE. Even if you take the manna out, it's still a brutally high standard to complete at warmup intensity :)

 

(And no one REALLY wants to take the manna out, do they? :P )

Ravn

Ok, so for someone who hasn't access to R1, the bottom line is (as always) basically to take seriously the standard of no rest between sets?

Jon Douglas

That's definitely a necessary factor :)

Otherwise you will be playing catch-up at the end trying to get those numbers.