This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Using Foundation and Handstand in a musculoskeletal assessment

Started by Mark Collins, March 10, 2014 · 4 Replies · 376 Views

Mark Collins

Last week I assessed and treated a level 6 gymnast who had hip pain. I was able to seamlessly combine my physio assessment with the progressions from foundation. I was surprised how well the foundation helped in working out her weaknesses. She could do a press handstand at 10 years old though.

As a result her mother told another friend and now their gymnastics club are going to refer patients to me. Thanks a lot Coach. Not only do I get access to this awesome program, but now I get to treat gymnasts as well.

Matthieu Jeandel

Can you give more details about your assessment?

 

Thank

 

Matt.

Coach Sommer

Well done, Mark. Very well done.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Burnham

Awesome Mark! My own physical therapist has been allowing me to work back through several foundation elements and was very pleased with the completeness and strategy of the program. We are using several of the progressions in my regular PT now.

Mark Collins
Matthieu Jeandel said:

Can you give more details about your assessment?

 

Thank

 

Matt.

As the patient had left hip pain I focused on the lower half of the body and core. I thought that testing SLS, HBR and ABR would be a good starting point and then assess harder or easier movements depending on what her form was like.

On assessment:

1. SLS there was poor balance with a heel lift. So I then tested a full squat which also had a heel lift. I wanted to test lateral leg strength for the gluteus medius and peroneals so I tested the twisting squat which was good. For the hamstrings I tested single and double leg slides, which were poor.

2. HBR was good.

3. ABR was poor for her level.

So from that quick assessment I could tell the leg strength and posterior chain was lacking. I then proceeded to a physio assessment to narrow down what specific structures were involved.

If it wasn't for the access to Coaches program I would have had no idea on how to effectively progress this gymnast in her rehab. Thankfully I have a clear idea of her weaknesses and what areas she needs to work on to be injury free. I now look at all my patients through a Gymnastic Bodies lens and progress them systematically when their body is ready.