This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow hyperextension and sPL/PE5

Started by niba, March 10, 2014 · 5 Replies · 183 Views

niba

So I just started sPL/PE5 and I'm a little curious about how to approach it since my elbows hyperextend a little bit. I added a clip to try to demonstrate what my elbows look like naturally - I'm not putting any weight on them. I haven't found any mention of elbow hyperextention in the F1 forums (but it's mentioned in some of the other ones). That said, should I allow my elbows to hyperextend when doing sPL/PE5?

 

I was also wondering where the insides of my elbows should be directed towards: if they're meant to be pointing forward, towards each other, or somewhere in between. (In the video they are pointing forwards)

 

Badi

I have the same "problem". Try to turn them inwards, this way you dont put so much stress on your elbow. Another thing I learned by doing it this way is really using your shoulders and core properly not your arms and wrists.

niba

Thanks! So then do you allow the elbows to hyperextend when you're doing this?

B1214N

If your elbows naturally hyperextend then do let it hyperextend otherwise you wouldn't be building sufficient elbow and elbow tendons strength and also straight arm strength.

dritar

Mine hyperextend a lot as well. When I do the lean my elbows are pointing a couple of degrees shy of straight forward.

 

I don't find that the lean bothers my elbows much, but you have to build the lean, slowly. For me it the hold actually bothers my wrists more as the hyperextension means that your shoulders and scapulae aren't experiencing the same lean as your wrists are.

Spphysio

I would say just build up to 5 sets of 30 seconds with hyperextended elbows really really gradually...However coach is the most responsible to answer this.