This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I think I need a little more rest.

Started by David Soto Jr., March 6, 2014 · 7 Replies · 233 Views

David Soto Jr.

This is my sixth straight week in the program and I found that for the first time I was not able to complete some of the sets. Also, I am skipping today because I am still sore from monday's session. As a personal trainer and coach myself, I always advise against training sore muscles. They are still recovering. Right?

 

Here are my questions: 

 

Do I need extra time to recover?

 

If so, should I take the rest of this week off and start over again next week?

 

Should I train muscles while suffering from doms?

 

Thanks for the input. 

Christian

Sixth straight week? Did you do the deload week? They are there for this purpose.

David Soto Jr.
Christian said:

Sixth straight week? Did you do the deload week? They are there for this purpose.

Yep! Week four. 

Duff

How many times a week do you do Foundation? Do you do any other training alongside? How is your nutrition/sleep?

 

Missing sets happens, and it might not be related overtraining.

Christian

Hmmm, strange you should be so tired then. Some muscle soreness is to be expected and will dissipate after another training session. I would keep going another cycle then reconsider if the split you are on might be too much.

David Soto Jr.
Duff said:

How many times a week do you do Foundation? Do you do any other training alongside? How is your nutrition/sleep?

 

Missing sets happens, and it might not be related overtraining.

I train M/T/Th/F. Nutrition and sleep are on point. I do a little rock climbing , walking and running on the side. I realized after posting this that I have had a cold for a weeks or so. This may explain the energy loss this week. 

Duff
David Soto Jr. said:

I train M/T/Th/F. Nutrition and sleep are on point. I do a little rock climbing , walking and running on the side. I realized after posting this that I have had a cold for a weeks or so. This may explain the energy loss this week. 

That could be it. It doesn't sound to me like you're doing too much, but if this persists, play around with the scheduling a bit and see if you feel any changes. Also, some exercises will be sticking points that will take longer to master. This is normal, even on the very first progressions :).

Murray Truelove

Took me a while to get used to the "no rest time" in fact I "rebooted" my schedule at one point, dropping all elements back a micro cycle to a point where I could train without the extra rest.

You can train through DOMS though if your recovery means you're always training through DOMS you might want to change your schedule.

As others have said, make sure your recovery is in check: plenty of food and rest between workouts.

Stick with it and I'm sure you'll get used to it.