Cues or tricks to help give full leg extension in back tuck jump?

Started by emos, March 6, 2014 · 1 Replies · 1,459 Views

emos

Does anyone have any cues that help with the legs going to a full, extended jump in the set for a standing back tuck (or similar moves)?

 

Currently it's as though the "TUCK!" instruction overlaps with the "JUMP!" instruction and I never pass through a position of having straight knees, so my jump is cut short. I already do some practice jumps before each back tuck but then it's never the same during the actual move.

 

By "cues" I mean somewhat indirect ideas, so not just "jump higher" or "wait before tucking" - if I had that level of conscious control I would already be doing it! Instead, think along the lines of tricks like focusing on an object ahead of you as long as possible, which prevents your head tipping backwards.

 

 

Any ideas?

 

I don't have a video to hand but hopefully you understand what I mean, it's a common problem.

Daniel Burnham

So you aren't setting high enough. I wrote a list of back tuck progressions around here somewhere. Follow the set drills there. One good one involves setting onto a higher at behind you.