Long lasting tightness in hamstring from injury

Started by Seabird, March 5, 2014 · 2 Replies · 1,573 Views

Seabird

About 6 years ago, I injured one of my hamstrings during a martial arts practice. I hadn't warmed up enough for the day and went to do a jumping high kick, which lead to what some in the room described as the sound of jeans tearing. I was unable to walk comfortably for a few days, and I still can feel tightness around the hip joint and glutes because of it. I didn't go to PT or the doctors because I was young and foolish. 

 

Can anyone recommend stretches to mitigate this? I actually have much greater flexibility in that leg than the other, but there is the slight lingering dull pain, and it is noticeable that there is a bit less stability in the area when doing pancake stretches. I also feel some pain in it the morning after days when I run, though taking an aspirin the night/day before makes that a non issue.

Rafa

If you have been active for a while and its healed up. Pt and some ART will definitely be beneficial

Daniel Burnham

Firstly you need to make sure there isn't an injury that is not healed. Go to a doctor and get imaged to confirm this.

If you have no tears then massage and fascial release can help a lot.