This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progressing AND Regressing...

Started by NoHiddenCosts, March 5, 2014 · 2 Replies · 242 Views

NoHiddenCosts

Hey all!

 

So I'm currently having some mixed progress with my F elements. I'm on the 4-day split, and HBP, RC, SLS, and SL are progressing pretty steadily. My progress with sPL, however, has been terrible. I had a pretty solid 5x36 PE3 (Plank), but by the time I got to 4x60, I was struggling. Between those, I started tacking H1 onto the end of my SL, SLS, MN days, so I thought that my scapula might just be fatigued, so I figured I would go back through the sPl progressions and ensure mastery. Today, I was not even able to show mastery in sPL/PE1 (Scap Shrugs)! Additionally, I was close to 4x60r bHBR, but today I couldn't complete 3 sets...

 

I haven't had the greatest sleep lately, my digestive system has been causing problems for a few months, and there's always the possibility that I need to move down to the 3-per week, so it's possible that there are outside factors affecting this, but it seems weird that I am making pretty steady progress on a majority of the elements.

 

Has anyone else experienced such things?

Ravn

Sometimes you push hard for a period, and the body responds with fatigue, so you aren't able to perform as well. It happens, and you'll bounce back. Just this week I mastered pullovers in the first WO of the week. On the second WO, I failed in the fourth set. No big deal, mastery will have to be postponed a couple of weeks. You'll have to measure your progress on average, not by individual workouts, since the variation can be quite significant. Mental and physical fatigue has a big impact.

NoHiddenCosts

Ravn, thanks for your reply. I figured after my first failure in sPL that I would bounce back for the following workout or perhaps the one after, but it has been getting worse each workout for a couple of weeks now... Also, going from solid phase 2 of PE3, to failure in PE1 seems like a pretty extreme difference.

 

I'm going to try dropping to 3 workouts/week to see if that helps with recovery at all.