This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation to Prepare for Tumbling

Started by OMGpumas, March 5, 2014 · 2 Replies · 121 Views

OMGpumas

Foundation seems a wonderful physical preparation for movement. I would love people's thoughts on at what point in the Foundation series one is sufficiently prepared to start work on basic tumbling.

 

The long term goal is to work through the entire series, but I wonder if there is a point before the end of F4 at which the physical preparation is sufficient to begin learning basic tumbling skills. This might be different depending on the movements—e.g. front and back flips seem to call for more leg development than straight-arm strength, handsprings seem to call for more shoulder and back work...

 

I've been training parkour for about 5 years now—the non flippy kind. The Foundation work has replaced all the conditioning I used to do, and I feel better than ever. 

ausswe

Handstand series seems to be helping improve my tumbling but mostly because I started learning by cartwheels and what not before movi into Arial stuff. I would say movement series would be of more benefit for tumbling although that's just a guess. Luckily movement series should be out in some months, which means there won't be any more guessing! Can't wait.... Also parkour without flips is just called free running.

OMGpumas

Haha, it's more the other way around, parkour with flips is freerunning. Parkour with an emphasis on efficiency, speed, and directness is... parkour. e.g the classic Parkour Literally series:

 

 

But let us please not begin a semantics debate about parkour vs free-running. Back in the day the forums were full of argument  over whether flips could count as "efficient movement." These days the terms are used pretty interchangeably.