This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

new to gymnastic bodies need opinion on where to start.

Started by Mfave16, March 5, 2014 · 4 Replies · 136 Views

Mfave16

Hi guys,

I'm a college freshman fitness enthusiast who has been training gymnastic skill for about a  year (6 months consistently and guided) now and decided to recently begin the foundation series. I have worked consistently, constantly adding my knowledge through reading forums, books, articles and other reference sources as to mobility, gymnastic strength and gymnastic skill all in hopes of developing the awe inspiring feats (at least to me) such as front lever, planche, handstand push-ups/holds/presses, the v-sit and perhaps the manna the iron cross. So as of the moment, I am capable of a 60 second tuck front lever for 4 sets, 15 second advanced tuck front lever for 4 sets, a 12 second tucked planche for 4 sets, a 30 second non-elevated planche lean for 4 sets, a 20 second front support for 4 sets, a 20 second german hang using supinated grip for 4 sets, a 30 second l-sit for 3 sets, 3 wall assisted straight arm straddle presses, a 60 second hollow body hold, a 10 second dragon flag hold at parallel and 3 full dragon flag reps, 25 pull-ups, 35 dips, 1 almost freestanding handstand push-up, 30 handstand wall runs (I call them shoulder taps), a 30 second freestanding handstand for multiple sets, as well as a 60 second wall assisted handstand, and lastly about 10 handstand wall walks (cast walks) for 4 sets. Also, incase it helps I'm 6'2" and 185lbs at the moment.

 

So based on all this information I was wondering if someone could give me info. on if i can move to foundation 2? I looked through foundation one and did a workout consisting of all the hardest progressions listed and I can complete all of the movements pretty easily with the exception of the elevated planche lean. 

howens

You start from the very beginning testing mastery for each exercise. If mastered move on to the next for the next work out.

Joshua Slocum

It's worth taking 20 minutes to read the course materials. You'll find your question is answered there: as said above, you should test your ability on every exercise, starting from the very beginning. Those which you are able to demonstrate mastery of, you can skip.

MT Nordic

oftentimes the last exercise is not the hardest exercise.  I would still march through from the beginning.  You'll still get good workouts, and it will help shore up where you may have a weakness that you are unaware of.  I thought for sure I could start at F2 when i bought the series, but no, I have found my weaknesses.  There are some where I can easily do exercises later in the progressions, but that's not the point.  It's a progression of working through various areas of weaknesses, not trying to make it to the next move.  If you don't need that progression and master it easily, then move on.  I'd be shocked given what you listed above if you do not get a substantial surprise out of F1.  Don't just do the last exercises, start from the beginning and progress through.  Good luck, and enjoy the process.  and welcome to the forums!

Mfave16

I appreciate the quick replies. Ill begin testing mastery for each exercise tomorrow again and go through each level over the course of the week. Would you recommend  to continue working on the skills I have already worked towards in conjunction to F1 or purely focus on the F1 work?

 

Also, I was wondering what to do if I don't have stall bars (excuse my spelling)? I'm currently home for spring break yet I go back to college in a few days and the gym there doesn't provide any stall bars? Is there an alternative or some creative way of utilizing traditional commercial equipment as a replacement?