This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What makes you do GB? It's circus arts and trapeze for me.

Started by David Creekmore, March 4, 2014 · 19 Replies · 518 Views

David Creekmore
Hi, I'm new to GB.  I came across it because I train trapeze and circus arts (flying trapeze, doubles static trapeze, partner balancing/acrobatics and gymnastic trampoline.)  I'm not happy with my progress using conventional weight training.  It just doesn't translate to circus arts - which are more like modified gymnastics. 

 

My first thought was to look for an an adult gymnastics gym but in searching the internet I came across this site.  (Turns out at least one of the instructors at my school train GB here also.)  

 

I'm 44 and have been training circus arts about 8 hours a week for the past 15 months.  And I've done a few hours running and a few hours of lifting a week for the past 4 years.   I'm not a natural, by any stretch, but I do love it and it's changed my life (and my kids too.)  My current progress is corkscrews on the tramp and layouts (in lines) on the flying trapeze.  The whole process has done great things for my physique -  I'm  5' 10" 148lbs, 10% bodyfat with calipers.  

 

My endurance, flexibility, kinesthetic awareness and strength are all pretty good and I've tested into week 5 or 9 for a few of the movements in F1/H1.   But I'll begin modestly with the first anyway because I'm rehabbing shoulder inflammation on both sides that arose from flying trapeze - (having hyper mobile shoulders is not a good thing when they are a fulcrum) .   

 

I've been reading the forums extensively  - I'm about a third of the way through them all - skipping the form mastery posts.  There is so much here to learn especially about nutrition and recovery.   

 

I have several questions, but I"m going to ask them separately so they don't all get answered in one crazy thread. 

 

My opening question though is why do you do GB?  It's a huge time and energy commitment - far beyond what it takes to look good and be healthy.   So there must be something else we seek.  For me it's obvious - I need it to perform at a higher level in the circus arts that I love.  What's your reason?

 

-David

Micawberian

You've reminded me how every time I see the trapeze and corde lisse people at the local circus school, I usually end up thinking that they could really have benefited from GST training. There is also lyra, which again, I see that GST could help. There's one guy here who perform back lever off lyra in his routine and without the proper shoulder flexibility, his head looks like...how do I explain this...a turtle head coming out of the shell. And I also think of all the hand-balancer's who enjoy lowering into the worst straddle planche's possible, like something out of the street workout manual. They all need some GST!

Keegan

For me it's a combination of just wanting to be as all around athletic as possible (and honestly I can't think of a better example of an all around athlete than a gymnast), having always loved just moving my body and climbing things, and the fact that I realized that the weight training that I had done (which honestly gave me pretty good results in terms of strength and appearance) had left me very out of balance athletically which had begun to manifest as injuries and chronic nagging tightness or discomfort in certain joints (particularly shoulders and hips).

I had previously done a poorly designed (in comparison to the F and H series, and I'm sure the R, M, etc... though I have yet to purchase those yet but can assume that they are of equal outstanding quality) gymnastics/weight training hybrid program years ago utilizing Coach's Planche and Front Lever article, his Iron Cross article, and some other bodyweight oriented material I had found on the web before I really got into weight training and though I was not quite as strong in certain movements as when I was weight lifting hard and heavy, I never had pain, didn't feel tight or restricted nearly as much, and just felt all around more athletic.

So once Coach's book came out I bought that and did the WOD's for a while but would run into apparent brick walls in terms of progress in certain movements. So once the F series came out I knew I had to get it and I have been extremely happy with the program and the way it has made me feel and perform since starting it, even though I'm a loooong way from finishing it. ;-)

Hopefully that answers your question. :-)

Riku Calderón

For me it was MMA on the beginning. Now that I know what this is doing to me. I can feel it every day. I just want it all. Im gonna do the whole curriculum!!

The Hansenator

A combination of gymnastic moves being cool and weight training doesn't seem to agree with my back or shoulder.

Ravn

I have different reasons. I love climbing, but don't have time right now due to kids and life, so I use GST to stay sharp. I'm also fascinated with the strength holds and movements, and finally, I just want to achieve the GST goals because they are hard, like everything else worth achieving. Hard is good, for some odd reason :-)

ChrisUK

Mostly Hand Balancing, an appreciation for the discipline GB brings me (and the cool skills to add to my routines!), and some Bboying for me. It's just so awesome for everything, really.

Kelly Gage

I've been taking my daughters to gymnastics for years and always wished I was a kid so I could do it too. Then one day it hit me that I CAN do it too. Some internet searching lead me to F1/H1 about 6 weeks ago.

Mike71

After decades of weight training, I was still horrible at chin ups and pull ups.  I had to ask myself, "how strong did weights really make me all of these years?"  So I decided to ditch weights and work on bodyweight training 100% (since January 1, 2014).  One concern that I had with bodyweight training was how to keep the shoulders strong and developed without doing overhead presses, dumbbell side raises, front raises, etc.  The handstand push up was recommended numerous times as one of the best bodyweight shoulder exercises to perform.  So then I wondered how in the world am I going to be able to do a handstand push up if I have never done a handstand during my life (turn 43 this month).  And three weeks ago I bought F1 and H1.

loazis

For me, a focus on body weight training just makes sense. If you do not have control over your own body, what business do you have lifting other things? I want to move!

 

Moreover, GST, and GB in particular, works for me because I like clarity. I love the clearly mapped-out progressions, the illusion of simplicity (what can so hard about lying on the floor with your arms and legs raised a few inches?), the focus on form. I don't train because I want to crank out as many pull ups as I can or to rush towards a cool move like a planche, I train because I want steady, overall improvement in strength and mobility. To be able to do so in an environment of my choice instead of a gym (which, based on my experiences with the gyms I've visited, does suit me) is a nice extra.

LateStarter@46

To be strong and to say no to behaving like the majority of today's old women when I'm old.

Destiny

Started to hate gym culture so I stopped lifting for my own sanity. Then got into calisthenics after a break which I really enjoyed and eventually found GB. Saw the wealth of knowledge on here and the impressive videos and knew I had to get started on it. One thing that really helped sell it to me was the line "become bulletproof" or something. Loved the idea of having transferable strength and just being an all around beast no matter what the exercise or angle. 

Mats Trane

Definetly because you can to just about anywhere and most of the time you only need your own body. I never had the time to go to the gym because of work and family so I started doing bodyweight excercises at home. Started with only 10 minutes a day but made sure it became a habit just like brushing your teeth. And then i found this place :)

 

For all of you that just found GB, you dont know how lucky you are, now that the Foundation is out and everything is programed in detail. The risk of getting hurt now is minimal.

Christian

I want to be like Spider-man!

strme

spider man yes, me too. i am serious :)

Jon Douglas

Because I love to be able to do a bit of everything. I can hang with my friends who want to crossfit, who want to climb, who want to run obstacle courses, and who want to roll or spar for hours. Many of my friends are better than me at one thing, but I get to do it all :)

Christian
strme said:

spider man yes, me too. i am serious :)

Who would joke about such a thing :-)?

Alessandro Mainente

i'm a gymnast, on this fall september probably i'll move over agonist category. i'm also following the course to be a regional gymnastic Coach, but my primary goal is learn how to teach and what to teach at the adults.

~Atticus

My reasons are adequately captured by the immortal words of President # 35's speech at Rice University, reflecting on why the US had decided to join the "race to the moon." Enjoy!

 

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

Von Holt

I began F1 and H1 because it seems to be the most comprehensive BW program with very well thought out progressions. I love surfing and feel that the body control, mobility, balance, etc. gained through consistent hard work will help me to make the most if my time in the water. I know that the amount of time I spend surfing may slow my progress though the foundation series, but I'm not trying to become a gymnast- I just want to develop the greatest control of my body that I can so that I can surf strong and injury free for as long as possible.