This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

bands for rings mobility

Started by obc, March 4, 2014 · 20 Replies · 964 Views

obc

Hi everyone,

 

I saw that R1>iM exercises all use some bands (and triangular rings).

 

I looked up those bands, and apparently there are several types - different colors, different band strength.

 

What kind of resistance band should I be getting?

 

Thanks!

obc

Thanks so much! Should I pick a particular color? Should I use the blue one since I'm a complete beginner? thanks again!

Joshua Slocum

Yeah blue would be a good place to start. 

jwalker497

That site is awfully confusing.  I cant find the straps, they appear more like longer tubes.  Any good places to buy on Amazon?

Joshua Slocum

They're supposed to be tubes. This thread is about where to buy resistance tubes for the mobility work. 

 

If you're looking for a place to buy straps, I'd refer you to the advice given in the course: https://courses1.gymnasticbodies.com/r-lars-straps/

jwalker497

The website in that thread is confusing - cant determine which thing to buy.  They appear to be long tubes not short ones that the course recommends.  

Joshua Slocum

They're 4' long tubes with a handle - EXACTLY what is used in the course. I don't understand what is so confusing.

jwalker497

Maybe im missing something but the tubes on that website appear to be very long.  Too long to effectively wra around a forearm and a rins strap as illustrated in the course.  I dont understand what I am not explaining.  

Christian

Joshua is giving links to the tubes used for the iM warmup. Not the LARS straps.

jwalker497

Theres the problem, Im looking for the LARS Straps.  Sorry if I wasnt clear. 

Cole Dano

For the LARS straps go to a fabric or hardware store and buy some nylon strap and have it sewn to the proper size.

 

A full description of sizing is given in the Performing Ring Strength section --> LARS straps

Joshua Slocum
jwalker497 said:

Maybe im missing something but the tubes on that website appear to be very long.  Too long to effectively wra around a forearm and a rins strap as illustrated in the course.  I dont understand what I am not explaining.  

If you had taken the time to read my post, you'd have seen that I quite clearly stated that the tubes were for performing mobility work [which is the topic of this thread], and also directed you to a site with instructions for making your own straps for LARS work, since that seemed to be what you were looking for.  

IBGC

For the LARS straps, I sewed a couple of pieces of judo belt together myself. They're holding up fine so far and I'm far from the greatest needleworker.

Jon Douglas
IBGC said:

For the LARS straps, I sewed a couple of pieces of judo belt together myself. They're holding up fine so far and I'm far from the greatest needleworker.

I broke the buckle on my old rings straps (my error in setting it up) and took a length out of that strap to make LARS straps. A local shoe maker sewed it up for me free in about five minutes.

Definitely strong enough for me; strap crosses on them are ok.

Coach Sommer

Theraband tubes are acceptable, but not optimal.  Bungee straps are MUCH better for mobility work as the resistance remains constant throughout a much larger ROM.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

Where can you find these bungee straps? Or is that what josh linked earlier?

Keilani Gutierrez
Coach Sommer said:

Theraband tubes are acceptable, but not optimal.  Bungee straps are MUCH better for mobility work as the resistance remains constant throughout a much larger ROM.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I was actually on the hunt for the "bungee" you have your athletes using in the Foundation RC shoulder distractions. I've already stretched out a light band that I have been using for warming up my shoulders and could use a new one. did you make them yourself? or are they just a bungee with a makeshift handle?

Nautique163

I got some at my local west marine boat store , they are a national chain found in most cities . Just tie a loop with a bowline knot for a handle . http://www.westmarine.com/shock-cordpost-2996-0-46423500-1408304090_thumb.jp

Keilani Gutierrez

the link that Joshua provided up top is exactly the same bands they use in the band routine, it seems! 

post-3648-0-29037700-1408423371_thumb.jp

used them today after my Foundation workout for the ring mobility :)