This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hand Width - HS/PE1

Started by Mike71, March 4, 2014 · 4 Replies · 215 Views

Mike71

I am on week two of HS/PE1 (tripod) and performed 5 sets of 12s each.  I just want to make sure my hands are not too close together.  I start out kneeling with my legs almost touching.   I place my hands at about the same position as the athlete in the video (hands near the outside of each knee).  At this position my hands seem to be shoulder width apart ( hands under the shoulders).  It just feels like they are too close together.  Prior to H1 when I would do a tripod, I would place my hands wider since that felt natural.  Thanks.

 

 

Mike

wheezer

Hi Mike. I would suggest having your hands shoulder-width apart (best placed when kneeling before getting into position). Your eventual ideal handstand will have this hand placement, so it's best to train for it.

Mike71
wheezer said:

Hi Mike. I would suggest having your hands shoulder-width apart (best placed when kneeling before getting into position). Your eventual ideal handstand will have this hand placement, so it's best to train for it.

 

Thanks.  I just wanted to make sure I got it right in the beginning.

 

Also, I just noticed under the GB Starter Pack info on the Gymnasticbodies.com  home page, the models (female athlete in the tablet ad and the group of male athletes lined up) appear to have their hands slightly wider than shoulder width.  My hand position is narrower than those models for my tripod training.

wheezer

Good eye. Looking at the bigger picture I don't think it will matter much either way. Do whichever feels more comfortable. In my experience, in PE2 where the imbalance is stronger, you will feel a sense of the best place for your hands - there is a sweet spot.

Mike71

Thanks wheezer!   Also, I noticed after 5 sets of tripods for 12 seconds, my shoulders and arms felt pumped like when I did weight training.  I was surprised at what a mere 12 seconds in a tripod could do.  I can only imagine what fully bodyweight will do for the arms and shoulders.