This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Time to defeat ABH, starting from PE 0,00001....

Started by EDM, March 2, 2014 · 11 Replies · 635 Views

EDM

Hi all,

This is the only progression were I'm still stuck at level 1, or even before....

 

My form is yet not good enough to do a decent ABH, so I've decided to start with a more basic variation...this is the easiest one for me:

 

 

 

Do you think the ROM is ok?

 

Ideally I would work on this until my form is fine and get to 5x60" before moving progressively to the normal ABH with legs together and arms forward...

 

My only concern is that I have often a strange feeling in the lower back after doing this exercise...maybe I'm working too hard and I'm not able to determine if it si just muscular stress or something related to the spine...

 

anybody experienced something similar?

Boris Mikael Taube

I do exactly the same excercises. when i was doing normal ABH i just felt in the lower back. When im doing it in a straddle i feel it in the glutes and rest of the legs.

Do some foam rolling and strech hip flexor, before ABH. That will get you some extra ROM

EDM

Forgive my ignorance, what is a foam rolling?

Richard Sassoon

I just started foam rolling and I find that this article helps a new beginner like me and you probably ;)

And this video shows how to foam roll your hip flexor.

Mark Collins

I have had patients start with ABH with the arms and legs 1cm off the floor. Most are so bad that they need to start with bridging and some struggle to get their buttocks off the floor. I like the arms by the side.

Now why didn't I think of that for my patients as a step to moving on to the ABH.

EDM

wow! I had no idea that those colorful cylinders in my gym where supposed to be used in this way (actually nobody is using them there....) !!!

thanks Richard, i'll definitely try it.

EDM

Hi guys,

Some updates on this...I've been practicing the above ABH variation for another 1-3 workouts and reached a comfortable 4x40" with the ROM shown in the video (can also manage a 60" hold, but with more effort).

 

Before I get my hands on a foam roller (sadly discovered the one in my gym are not good...), how far do you think my form is from the target ROM?

 

In my opinion doesn't look so bad and, maybe, with extra stretching and foam rolling I could fill the gap. If so, think I can aim to a 5x60" in a rather short time and then see what happens with a more advanced ABH variation..

 

P.S. had also a check on my spine and everything is ok, no significant anomalies; so the discomfort I was feeling in my back was due to too much effort. Feel much more relaxed now and guess I just have to manage the intensity of the exercise to make it hard enough and not overdoing...

EDM

Eventually it seems I'm finally getting some progress in this PE.

 

It was true that over time it feels less painful and ROM improves!

 

ABH2.jpg

gohei_

Looking good!

federicoC

Ciao Emilio,

 

yes definitely, it looks like your ROM is improving.

dynamo

In my opinion (assuming form is correct) the more you activate your glutes and the stronger they get, the less stress you will feel in the lower back.  Of course good mobility and strength in your lower back will help as well, but the glutes are a big factor here.

 

One way I've found to really activate the glutes is to squeeze the cheeks together pretending like your trying to squeeze a coin in between them.

lnick1975

Yes. Squeezing the glutes is the way to go.