This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

That big jump between HBP/pe1 and HBP/pe2

Started by mcneuen, March 1, 2014 · 7 Replies · 458 Views

mcneuen

I will be on week 11 of HBP/pe1 next week, and it would surprise me if I don't pass.  I'm not there yet but I'm close.  

 

Next up after deload, then, would be week 1 of HBP/pe2.  After doing a little trial of that move, I do not foresee having 3 good-form Gymnastic-Bodies-style floor pushups in me, let alone 3x3.  Floor pushups (and other forms of horizontal pressing) have always been a weak point, and while I can tell I'm better at them now than before GB, I'm not yet ready for 3x3.

 

I am thinking about re-running HBP/pe1, using a height that is lower than the standard for pe1 (i.e., pe1.5), but not yet all the way to the floor, rather than spending more time in pe1.  Another alternative would be to do the standard pe2, but start with fewer reps than 3x3.  My guess is that the pe1.5 would be more effective, but I'd like your thoughts.  Thanks.

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez

exactly what I've been doing ^_^ 

 

though i think you're exagerating if you don't have 3 PU's in you. how's your form on HBP PE1? that alone will shed light on how PE2 is gonna to be. 

TANSTAAFL

That sounds perfect. Many of us have added extra steps(PE1.5, 1.3...) and it seems to be the best way to cross this particular bridge.

 

As opposed to the more physically difficult bridges(i.e. rope bridge in Temple of Doom) and the more mentally onerous ones (i.e. optical illusion rock bridge in The Last Crusade).

James Hall

A level 1.5 could be a knee height bar/incline. You will most likely need to spend many micro cycles on pe2 and pe3 so milking the incline might serve you well.

Bipocni

I found doing pushups with my forearms vertical the entire time was a pretty difficult leap.  I made the first microcycle, but got stuck on the second....

 

Try just doing 'regular' pushups, don't worry about the vertical forearms just yet.  They're more a tool to bridge the gap between pushups and pseudo-planche pushups anyway....

Cole Dano

Grading the height of the pushups is also what I've done in my GST classes to good effect.

Joshua Slocum

I'd also recommend that you post a form check of your incline pushups to double-check that you're doing them right. 

Keegan

^^^ This

I'm not saying that the idea of using a lower bar/incline progression is a bad one (I used that years ago to get my wife to the point of being able to do floor push-ups and it worked well). But I would be extremely surprised if you didn't have at least 3x3 in you (even up to GB standards) upon mastering PE1 (assuming that your form is good and that you are performing the sets/iM's the way the course instructs you to).