This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Crossfit Open and Foundation

Started by Mark Collins, March 1, 2014 · 11 Replies · 569 Views

Mark Collins

I did the Crossfit open today which was a 10 minute as many reps as possible of 30 Double unders and 15 Snatches at 34kg(75lb).

The last 8 weeks of my training have been Foundation focused. I do 4 Foundation and 3 H1 sessions a week. I only do two Crossfit metcons a week. Snatches and Clean and Jerks are once weekly for 3x3.

I felt really good today and got 225 reps. I was wondering how I was going to go as GST is now my priority. I actually feel like in the last 8 weeks I have progressed quicker with Crossfit by doing less of it and more Foundation and H1. I know that is no surprise to Coach, but I still had my doubts.

The workout was at 8am in the morning and normally I hate that time as I feel very stiff. Today I did not feel stiff and my wife Jacqui noticed this as well.

I hope they have toes to bar next week. I definetly won't be using stall bars if they do!

Jon Douglas

Heh. When I was told what a toes to bar was, I couldn't believe it ^_^ and with a swing too?!

Oh well. Id be interested in trying this next year and comparing notes. A lot on my plate this time around :)

Mark Collins
Jon Douglas said:

Heh. When I was told what a toes to bar was, I couldn't believe it ^_^ and with a swing too?!

Oh well. Id be interested in trying this next year and comparing notes. A lot on my plate this time around :)

After looking at how many HLL there are in the warm up for rings one I don't think CF toes to bar will be a problem :)

Jon Douglas

Due to travelling I wont get my hands on R1 till tomorrow night.... the anticipation is killing me.

gohei_
Jon Douglas said:

Due to travelling I wont get my hands on R1 till tomorrow night.... the anticipation is killing me.

As it should  :P

RF_Guy

I have to skip this year the Open due to knee injury. Would be very interesting to see my score today. 14.1 is a repeat workout from 2011 open. I got 332 back then. But this particular WOD is all about technique. As long as you do not fail DU score will be high. I think you are on the right path. After doing Open for few years I have noticed that performance is better with just two metcons per week. If you have to repeat Open WOD then that is all metcons for current week. Sometimes a relaxed trail run is helpful to release DOMs in quads but nothing intense.

Mark Collins
RF_Guy said:

I have to skip this year the Open due to knee injury. Would be very interesting to see my score today. 14.1 is a repeat workout from 2011 open. I got 332 back then. But this particular WOD is all about technique. As long as you do not fail DU score will be high. I think you are on the right path. After doing Open for few years I have noticed that performance is better with just two metcons per week. If you have to repeat Open WOD then that is all metcons for current week. Sometimes a relaxed trail run is helpful to release DOMs in quads but nothing intense.

332 is an impressive score. Did you make regionals that year?

RF_Guy

Thanks Mark! I never had luck in open. February is a month I ALWAYS get sick. Except this year :) Last year got sick twice during 5 weeks of open. Now that I am in the Masters category I might move to inhabited Island for 5 weeks try to push for the games. Although I am not sure how much fun it is to suffer 3 days in row. All athletes look miserable :)

Jon, I know that in CF there is a lot of momentum used in all exercises. That is not something we should do in F1. But the goal is also different. Anyone who tried 13.4 (clean&jerk 135 lb +T2B ladder 1,3,5,etc 7 min ) and finished with the score around 100 would know how hard they can be.

Mark Collins
RF_Guy said:

Thanks Mark! I never had luck in open. February is a month I ALWAYS get sick. Except this year :) Last year got sick twice during 5 weeks of open. Now that I am in the Masters category I might move to inhabited Island for 5 weeks try to push for the games. Although I am not sure how much fun it is to suffer 3 days in row. All athletes look miserable :)

Jon, I know that in CF there is a lot of momentum used in all exercises. That is not something we should do in F1. But the goal is also different. Anyone who tried 13.4 (clean&jerk 135 lb +T2B ladder 1,3,5,etc 7 min ) and finished with the score around 100 would know how hard they can be.

I will be in the Masters in 2 years, so it will be interesting to see how I go after 2 more years of Foundation.

All the athletes do look miserable and it does not seem to improve as you get better! At least with Gymnastics it is enjoyable even when it is hard.

13.4 was brutal. Don't remind me :)

Jon Douglas
RF_Guy said:

Jon, I know that in CF there is a lot of momentum used in all exercises. That is not something we should do in F1. But the goal is also different. Anyone who tried 13.4 (clean&jerk 135 lb +T2B ladder 1,3,5,etc 7 min ) and finished with the score around 100 would know how hard they can be.

Oh yes, I know. And in competition absolutely use every advantage (including momentum) available. That's part of competition :)

But day-to-day training for that competition, I'd put maybe double or more the time put into strict HLL (to make the str demands of toes-to-bar insignificant) over specific high rep TTB attempts.

Mark Collins

That was a good article. There is so much emphasis on Olympic lifting and general metcons that the average level of gymnastic strength is terrible.