I tried my first routine of deck squats and it did not go very well. The first two sets were not 3 reps for me but 3 attempted reps for each set. I could not stand up and I fell backwards each time. By my third set I managed to stand up but my form was horrible. Deep body weight squats (butt almost at ankles) training did not seem to help prepare me for deck squats. Prior to F1, I would do 100 deep body weight squats (5 sets x 20 reps) as part of my body weight leg training routine twice a week.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Preparatory Element for Deck Squats?
Started by Mike71, February 28, 2014 · 5 Replies · 215 Views
Most likely it's a technique issue. You need to really squeeze your heels into your glutes on the roll forward in order to get your weight over your feet. There are several threads on this forum already that cover deck squats in more depth.
Thanks! I will search the forum.
Also your body has to roll as 1 unit, not legs then upper. At least for me anyway.
I had my daughter fold the gymnastic mat in half and have her feet off the edge. She is now doing it on an unfolded mat with the feet off the edge. This has worked really well for her.
I think part of my problem was that I had my feet too far apart when I plant them for the stand position after roll up. I have re-watched the video several times and noticed that the athlete has his feet closer together than I had mine. I had been used to my shoulder width stance from my days of barbell squats. I positioned my feet closer together when I planted them on the floor for the stand position and I was able to stand on the first try of each rep with feet closer together. I guess that makes sense since we are training to do a one legged squat and feet closer together resembles one leg more than feet further apart.