kip to support on rings

Started by Ryan Hutchins, April 16, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,425 Views

Ryan Hutchins

I've been having trouble with the basic kip on rings. I just can't seem to get on top of them with out kipping to a dip position and then pressing up to front support. I can do a glide kip on high bar as well as a hanging kip. But on the rings i just can't get up there. My PB kip sends me to the same place as my sorry ring kip. Any help?

As far as details go... i cannot do a full pike due to poor flexibility. I can reach just to my toes. Also i pull my legs down and then explode up trying to get my hips above the rings and then forward. Suggestions? :(

braindx

Don't pull them down... let them drop and then explode.

Secondly, as soon as you start exploding you need to pull your hands backwards and keep them at your hips.

The more explosively you can extend your hips, the less you will have to open them. Eventually you should be able to kip to L-sit (not opening the legs much at all.. from compressed pike to L)

Work on your flexibilityl

Ryan Hutchins

thx... i was pulling down and not back. And yes i will continue to work on flexibility. i really need some guidance in that department. off to the flexibility thread

Richard Duelley

Its also a matter of practice and feel. The more you practice it the higher you will get. I started off landing my kip in a low dip and now I land it with my arms at or above 90 degrees and it keeps getting higher (ie my arms keep getting straighter the more I practice).

I just try to do 1-5 every practice, like instead of starting my ring strength series with a muscle up I will kip instead. My main problem is keeping my legs together, when I do keep my legs straight and together I land much higher than when I don’t (I think its form the overall increase in body tension).

Blairbob

legs apart/slight straddle generates more drag than being together and tight.