This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mental trick to overcome rocks volume

Started by Adriano Augusto, February 27, 2014 · 19 Replies · 534 Views

Adriano Augusto

Plain and simple. Instead of count the rocks one by one, you count by 10.

 

10 + 10 + 10

10 + 10 + 10

 

(Mastery scheme for example)

 

Really, this is almost magic. I was struggle with FL/PE2 and the volume as of week 9. Week after week I got failure on 3º set around 40 rocks... 4 and 5 sets same... I pushed myself but I did lost the form... until this week. I tried on monday a different way to count the rocks, 10 by 10 and... magic.

 

I went from failure on 3rd set few weeks ago to complete mastery 5x60 today, that is my deload but I don't care. Plus... EFFORTLESS. 

 

I don't care why this works, but confirm what Coach says about mind gives up before the body does. 

 

And I suppose that it would be use for any type of rocks PE. 

Shaolintobbe

Ok, so you count 1,2,3 etc to 10 then start from 1 again?

Adriano Augusto

Yes, I count to 10 and start from 1 again, and each "10" is a finger on my hand. So I count 3 fingers and is 30 rocks. Repeat until 60 :D

 

Besides, I can to concentrate even more on my breathing instead of the counting part of rocks. 

Shaolintobbe

Sounds like a great tip, I will try that:)

Christian

I like 2 x 30. In my head the first 30 are only warmup and the next 30 are work reps.

dritar

I used that trick for pushups (5 + 5 + 5). It works.

HamdiC

I'll have to try this.

What about .5 of 120?

strme

haha..  nice to read this articles about mental things..  :D  just do it, its simple 

IcedDante

I do this all the time. Sometimes on an especially brutal set once I get to 20 I'll reframe it to just 4 sets of 5 rocks! Come on- no problem! Really reframing things like this and persevering on sheer willpower is a skill unto itself and absolutely critical.

Ravn

It's not mastery unless you count all the way to 60.

Joshua Slocum

I sometimes do something similar; when I'm at e.g. 15/60 rocks, I'll think "hey I'm 1/4 of the way done! Just need to do that three more times".

Gray

Little trick learned in the army, when doing push ups (military style - with bounce because the numbers were most important). We were counting like this:

 

"Attention" -> "I'm beginning" -> "Zero" -> "One" -> "Two" -> .... -> " Done" 

 

It's hard to translate to another language

 

So 4 reps more :P 

IcedDante

Also, yelling out violent obscenities can provide that little boost.

Gray

Yeah, yelling sergeant will always motivate you. Or Coach Sommer looking at my Zombie performance on the seminar in August 2014 (i'll do everything to be there).

 

Also I've seen that Pavel Tsatsouline were lightly kicking people in the plank position to check their lat activation - so much fun :P

trw
Joshua Slocum said:

I sometimes do something similar; when I'm at e.g. 15/60 rocks, I'll think "hey I'm 1/4 of the way done! Just need to do that three more times".

 

I do this too, but sometimes it backfires. "I'm a third of the way there, two more of those and I'm done. Easy. Wait, that's only a third? Why am I so fatigued already? Two more still? This is the most uncomfortable I've ever felt. I hate this."

Ravn

I usually think "the first thirty reps are easy, at forty, this is where the fun begins, at fortyfive, you've made it this far, might as well go through to the end".

Nash

You guys are over-thinking this wayyy too much. Just use the trick below:

Alan Tseng

What I do sometimes is this:  I count from 1-30, then 1-15, then 1-7, then 1-4,

Igor Czerniawski

What helps me is counting 2 reps as one, it really works. You count , 1,1 2,2 3,3 etc. this way it makes you think you have 30 reps to do.

Duff
Nash said:

You guys are over-thinking this wayyy too much. Just use the trick below:

What's the trick? Snorting cocaine? Talk about preworkout... :huh: