This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Combining Preparatory Elements

Started by Mike71, February 27, 2014 · 14 Replies · 370 Views

Mike71

Two weeks ago I purchased Handstand One and Foundation One.  I have transitioned from 100% weight training to 100% body weight training.  I no longer have a desire to lift weights as I see the true strength gained by being able to master H1 and F1.  Is it okay to combine preparatory elements to create a body weight workout replacement to my former weight training routine?  For example, is it okay to combine RC/PE1 (Hinge Row) with RC/PE6 (Bent Arm Chin Hang)?  I am not at mastery at either but want to use these exercises as replacements to my weighted dumbbell rows, lat pull downs, and barbell/dumbbell curls which I used to perform in a workout session to train back and biceps.  Thanks.


 


Mike


Michael Taylor

Mike,

RC/PE1 is where you are at, and this should be stuck with until you achieve mastery.

You will not lose anything by just doing this exercise for fbas pulling (in fact, you will likely suprise yourself, and possibly clear up any elbow 'niggles' that you may have...)

Having said that, when your foundation work is done for the day, it is acceptable to 'play' with some more advanced elements (not work sets, play as you would imagine that to mean). So you could add some easy sets of RC/PE6 here

I have been doing this myself with RC/PE6 to get a taste of what I have coming...

Ravn
Michael Taylor said:

I have been doing this myself with RC/PE6 to get a taste of what I have coming...

Why on earth would anyone want to subject themselves to RC/PE6 before they were actually required to do it?  :facepalm:   :lol:  :lol:

Don't worry, there's plenty of RC6 for everyone!

Michael Taylor

Ravn,

 

I see your point :D :D

 

On the other hand, as I am only 'playing' with RC/PE6, I can learn to love it before it tries to bite me! B-)

 

(my theory is, by slow, sub-sub maximal increases in a couple of easy holds, by the time I am ready to start this exercise, I will have a bit of a headstart on myself...)

Art Vandelay

Yeah I've been doing later PE's as extra training, but only after I make sure I've done my scheduled workout of where I am up to. Sometimes I'll do a quick circuit of different PE's and iM's right after, sometimes I'll do it as a second workout later in the day. I've found it quite beneficial. Can also be motivating to get your workout "out of the way" so you can play around with other stuff. Obviously, just avoid  doing anything too far ahead of your abilities.

Ravn
Michael Taylor said:

Ravn,

 

I see your point :D :D

 

On the other hand, as I am only 'playing' with RC/PE6, I can learn to love it before it tries to bite me! B-)

 

(my theory is, by slow, sub-sub maximal increases in a couple of easy holds, by the time I am ready to start this exercise, I will have a bit of a headstart on myself...)

No worries, it's all good, I know what you mean. I always do a 60 sec set of RC6 as a warmup, and it still blows. Never gets comfortable.

EDM

Mike,

I share your point, it is indeed somewhat strange to transition from weights training to bodyweight only, maybe because with weights we are used to a very different routines with higher volume/more exercises, all based on reps and few/zero static holds.

 

So, when you move to F1, you might feel that your routine is a little bit "empty" and not so heavy, but as you move on, the more advanced elements are devastating.

 

In particular, RC PE6, 8, 9 and 10 are really though and more enjoyable to do than most of the weight training routines for the back that I've ever tried, you will feel you've really worked out a lot!

 

Having said that, I've also used to train with later PEs on an extra day and believe, in some cases, it can be beneficial, but it's very dependent on many individual factors, so you have to judge yourself and be careful that this extra work don't compromise your progression.

 

 

MvdB

The most important thing to realize is that you don't need to pick and choose elements to substitute for the exercises you were doing when lifting weights. Bodyweight training and programming (!) are fundamentally different. Rather than hitting different, isolated muscle groups with different exercises using weights and progressing only in terms of using additional weight (while doing the same exercises), you will be progressing through a series of increasingly complex and demanding exercises that build upon each other and hit your whole body from every angle. So there is no need to pick a more advanced exercise along with PE1 because you feel you need to work your back separately from your elbow flexors.

 

But, like others already mentioned, there's nothing wrong with doing some additional work for fun after your main workouts.

Joshua Slocum

Mike, you're missing the big picture. RC/PE1 is an exercise you should only be working on for a short period of time. You're not doing it for the rest of eternity. Once you master it, you move on. Eventually, you will master PE6 and move on, too. Don't get too worked up about the exercises the program has you working on this moment, as they will soon change.

Mike71

Thank you for all the responses!   This is great advice!


 


I should have clarified that I perform RC/PE1 first but afterwards I wanted to do extra work to prepare for chin ups (I could only do 4 chin ups prior to purchasing H1 and F1 and have since stopped chin ups) by adding in RC/PE6.


 


Forgive my ignorance as I de-program my weight training mentality.  Prior to H1 and F1, I have lifted weights on and off since I was 16 (I turn 43 in March.)  But with all my weight training I was always terrible at pull ups and chin ups and I decided to shift my focus to body weight training strength.  Furthermore, seeing the videos of people doing front lever, planche, hand stand push ups, and other complex moves made me change my thinking on weight training, hence my purchase of H1 and F1.


MvdB

No worries and no need to apologize, you're about to start an amazing journey :)

Joshua Slocum
Mike71 said:

 

Thank you for all the responses!   This is great advice!

 

I should have clarified that I perform RC/PE1 first but afterwards I wanted to do extra work to prepare for chin ups (I could only do 4 chin ups prior to purchasing H1 and F1 and have since stopped chin ups) by adding in RC/PE6.

 

The answer remains the same. Work the elements in order. RC/PE1 and PE6 involve many of the same muscles: trying to work both at the same time will just slow down your progress in both. It may not look like it, but RC/PE1 is great preparation for pullups. Don't be fooled by the lack of visual similarity: it develops lots of strength in the arms and the back, and it also forces you to learn to coordinate them. 

trw
Joshua Slocum said:

The answer remains the same. Work the elements in order. RC/PE1 and PE6 involve many of the same muscles: trying to work both at the same time will just slow down your progress in both. It may not look like it, but RC/PE1 is great preparation for pullups. Don't be fooled by the lack of visual similarity: it develops lots of strength in the arms and the back, and it also forces you to learn to coordinate them. 

 

I can vouch for this. It's anecdotal, but I've found that pullups of various kinds now feels stronger, easier, and more controlled than ever, and I'm only on PE1. And this is only through playing around, I don't even add extra work after my workout because I already feel wiped out. You might feel that way too once volume increases on all exercises. Give the programming a chance.

Mike71

I took the advice here and just stuck with F1 PE1 elements.  Tonight was my first workout of strictly F1 PE1 elements and nothing extra.  I downloaded a 4 day workout program from my portal and performed day 1 routine (Monday) of  FL, sPL, HBP, and  RC along with the their corresponding mobility elements.  I went to the gym (I plan to do 2 workouts at home and 2 at the gym) so I had access to a Smith Machine bar for incline pushups and pull up bar for Hinge Rows and was very impressed with the workout I received from these 4 fundamental groups.  I performed 5 sets of most exercises ranging from 3 - 10 reps and 30s on the ab work.   My abs are sore, my arms are sore, and my lats are sore - the good sore not the acute pain injury sore.  Thanks again for all the pointers here and helping me get started on this long journey.  I cannot imagine doing 5 sets of Bent Hollow Body Hold for 60 seconds.  WOW!

Ravn
Mike71 said:

I cannot imagine doing 5 sets of Bent Hollow Body Hold for 60 seconds.  WOW!

Just think of intense ab pain. Then try to ignore that pain!  :icon_twisted: