This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Falling into the (FL-Pe2) momentum is ''cheating'' obstacle?

Started by Jure Rakuljic, February 26, 2014 · 8 Replies · 299 Views

Jure Rakuljic

I just moved on to FL-pe2 very happy about that, but the problem is the momentum. I was trying too see how many reps  i could do (so i can easier determinate what week i shud start on 1,5 or 9). I did 20reps but i could do many more if i used more momentum.But it  feels wrong if i pick up too mutch momentum so instead i slow down the pace witch also feels wrong/werid too slow. I mean i know i can do more then i did but im concerned i dont want too cheat. For me it feels like momentum is cheating it is the general idea i have learned. How do i get over this obstancle? 

 

Also i shud mention i feel too stiff because of this thoud process my legs dont go up and down as they shud when doing this exercise because it feels like im cheating. ;(

thecolin

As you rock, I think there's always going to be a bit of momentum involved. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If you rock towards your shoulders, and are able to maintain a nice right tuck so that you can smoothly roll right back, you're just maintaining good form.

 

You should be stiff in this position, it's a static hold... in motion, if that makes any sense. Don't kick your legs or move them up or down.

 

If you're really worried about it, post a video of yourself.

Joshua Slocum

It's a dynamic exercise, so fundamentally there will always be some momentum involved. If you come all the way up onto your shoulders or all the way onto your glutes, you're probably using too much momentum. If in doubt, record yourself and compare to the demonstration video. 

Jure Rakuljic
thecolin said:

As you rock, I think there's always going to be a bit of momentum involved. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If you rock towards your shoulders, and are able to maintain a nice right tuck so that you can smoothly roll right back, you're just maintaining good form.

 

You should be stiff in this position, it's a static hold... in motion, if that makes any sense. Don't kick your legs or move them up or down.

 

If you're really worried about it, post a video of yourself.

What is diffrence between good form and feeling stiff? I feel like when working this exercise my body is separated in 2parts upper and lower body and they dont act as one unit. , The more i think of using the ''right'' tempo for this exercise the more akward it feels,  I will try too just start from week 1 and see if i can get somewhat familar with this movment because atm i just cant go with the ''flow'' it dont come natural too me i have too think ''now my legs shud be up in the air and now down . 

Jure Rakuljic
Joshua Slocum said:

It's a dynamic exercise, so fundamentally there will always be some momentum involved. If you come all the way up onto your shoulders or all the way onto your glutes, you're probably using too much momentum. If in doubt, record yourself and compare to the demonstration video. 

Good guideline thanks. For me atm it feels like all you have too do is fighting for that momentum so you can continue keeping rolling back and forward. Will see if things get better or i will have too record it thx guys.

thecolin
Jure Rakuljic said:

What is diffrence between good form and feeling stiff? I feel like when working this exercise my body is separated in 2parts upper and lower body and they dont act as one unit.

 

I feel that by tightening my abs and lats that my shoulders are locked to my hips. When I rock, everything is moving together. I think it's a bit difficult to get into the tiny details of good form vs stiffness, there's a high risk of over thinking things at that point. Focus on the main points, and try to develop your own sense from there.

 

Are you rotating your hips and pressing your lower back into the ground?

Jure Rakuljic
thecolin said:

 

 

Are you rotating your hips and pressing your lower back into the ground?

 

 

Im i supposed too do that? Also im supposed too arch my back, right? Dont want too missunderstand something.

Keegan
Jure Rakuljic said:

Im i supposed too do that? Also im supposed too arch my back, right? Dont want too missunderstand something.

No, arching the back is the opposite of what you want; you want to round your back. I think you are probably doing the right thing, just using the wrong terminology/word. If not, then you should probably go back and film your FL PE2 and put it up for a form check here.

thecolin
Jure Rakuljic said:

Im i supposed too do that? Also im supposed too arch my back, right? Dont want too missunderstand something.

 

Yes, the position of your hips is important for the hollow body position.

 

Excessively rounding your back isn't what you should be aiming for. Tilting your hips and pressing your back into the ground straightens out the natural curve in your spine. Combine that with tight abs and lats, and you should have a gentle rounding that should allow you to rock easily. 

 

Remember what these progressions lead up to, the position you're in now leads up to the position you'll be holding hanging from the rings. It's that tension and back position that will eventually allow you to hang from your shoulders and stay parallel to the ground. But the front lever is still a straight body position.