Lower back problems

Started by StiffGuy, February 25, 2014 · 10 Replies · 1,542 Views

StiffGuy

Most of my life i slept on a shitty couch (my family was poor) and always slept on one side of my body due to comfort.As a result the right side of my back is stronger than the other.It's as if i don't have any muscle on the lower left side where my biggest problem resides.

It's this part of the back (not me obviously)

 

How do i remedy this problem?Will swimming solve it?

post-11103-0-09358800-1393369569_thumb.p

Keilani Gutierrez

does this asymmetry cause you pain?

 

I used to have a big difference between the right/left sides of my body and over time has sorted itself out through training with a meticulous focus on form and (most importantly) understanding my asymmetry and how it related to my lack of flexibility(in an assymetrical way, i mean.)

 

fast forward a year and i'm not symmetrical ( i'm not exactly sure if we ever are?) but I do have less pain and the margin of relative flexibility is smaller. (from what i've documented) 

 

so the first question that can be asked is does this imbalance in musculature cause you pain? then the second one is, does it cause you discomfort? does one side of your body get more sore than the other? in what exercises? what sports do you practice? because muscles don't get bigger from sleeping on your side, what it could have done is simply inactivated a side you don't favor. also, do you have scoliosis?

 

 

and the most important question of all, have you talked to a professional about this? 

StiffGuy

It doesn't hurt and it doesn't get sore.

After a workout in the gym(back/shoulders and core workouts) it feels more "activated" no mater my form which worries me because I don't want to cause temporary or permanent back problems.I don't practice any other sports.

 

I haven't talked to a professional about it yet due to the discouragement of my family("he'll only tell you what we told you"; "swimming will do the trick" etc.) and gotta renew my health care 'cause I'm a student.

It feels like I have scoliosis but family members didn't say I had a bent spine after any examinations.I did exercises in my childhood for scoliosis.

 

I guess a picture is inevitable. Here you can clearly see the problem(i whited it out because of a messy room)

post-11103-0-45137800-1393399547_thumb.p

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm not qualified to say because I don't even know what are the mechanisms at work currently. do you live in a family of doctors or people who have gone through exactly the same thing(and if they have what methodology are they using to identify it?)

 

the answers to these questions will shed light on if you need a professionals guidance or not and it seems to me that it could benefit you. I understand the position with your healthcare, i've been without medical insurance and if it isn't causing any pain, any problems like nerve pain or joint damage, keep it in mind and visit a professional as soon as you can. i'd suggest getting a lymphatic drainage massage, but i'd clear that with someone who is actually working with you and diagnosing what's up. 

StiffGuy

No,they aren't doctors nor did they have a similar thing.When I asked them to check it they would first go over the problem area with their hand and then with their fingers move up and down the spine and say "yep,it's bigger on one side" and "spine's good".

 

I guess I'll go work on my health care asap and seek medical help,but that would take at least a week.What should I do in the meantime?Wait it out and not go to the gym?

 

(I got 2 more posts to give because I'm a new member)

DiTi
StiffGuy said:

It doesn't hurt and it doesn't get sore.

After a workout in the gym(back/shoulders and core workouts) it feels more "activated" no mater my form which worries me because I don't want to cause temporary or permanent back problems.I don't practice any other sports.

 

I haven't talked to a professional about it yet due to the discouragement of my family("he'll only tell you what we told you"; "swimming will do the trick" etc.) and gotta renew my health care 'cause I'm a student.

It feels like I have scoliosis but family members didn't say I had a bent spine after any examinations.I did exercises in my childhood for scoliosis.

 

I guess a picture is inevitable. Here you can clearly see the problem(i whited it out because of a messy room)

thats scoliosis for sure. my bro had scoliosis and he's back looked excactly like that. you should probably go see a doctor and he will give you some exercises to fix it  but the older you are the harder it's going to be to fix scoliosis but you should not give up...

StiffGuy
DiTi said:

thats scoliosis for sure. my bro had scoliosis and he's back looked excactly like that. you should probably go see a doctor and he will give you some exercises to fix it  but the older you are the harder it's going to be to fix scoliosis but you should not give up...

Until I go see a doctor should I refrain from doing any exercises in the gym?

In the meantime I'll look up Exercises on YouTube how to fix it.

 

But what about my asymmetry?Will proper form in my workout naturally balance it out?

DiTi
StiffGuy said:

Until I go see a doctor should I refrain from doing any exercises in the gym?

In the meantime I'll look up Exercises on YouTube how to fix it.

 

But what about my asymmetry?Will proper form in my workout naturally balance it out?

as i said my bro had the same porblem and his doctor recomended that he should not train until he fixes his scoliosis because the socoliosis can get even worst 

Keilani Gutierrez

there you go. hope you get this sorted 

StiffGuy

Thanks a lot, guys.

gcv

Just go see a doctor and don't take blanket advise from any forum member. Just because things seem similar at times they do not necessarily mean they are.