Visual guides to skills

Started by sawilhelm, February 25, 2014 · 8 Replies · 1,965 Views

sawilhelm

Hey everyone!

 

So back when I was a kid I remember we had this binder full of graphical representations of skills, outlining and visually showing the different steps to skills. Everything from forward rolls, to cartwheels, to twisting layouts was in there. As a leading tumbling coach at a recreational gymnastics gym, I wanted to create something like this for some of the other coaches to use as a reference. Is anybody aware of any resources out there like this? Thanks for any feedback! :)

ChrisUK

Well the Gymnastic Bodies courses all have a ton of photos and videos of each skill, however you must purchase them before you can have access to them.

 

Overcoming Gravity has a huge list of stick men figures doing various skills, and it is a one time payment.

 

Personally for quality the GB courses way outrank the drawings in Overcoming Gravity because a) They are professionally shot and b) Are real humans performing the skill, so we can see the subtleties of muscles and body position involved and c) The form is definitely correct because it is taught by Coach Sommer, a very experienced gymnastics coach. 

 

Other than that you can go to forums and youtube videos and compile a resource. 

Cody
ChrisUK said:

Well the Gymnastic Bodies courses all have a ton of photos and videos of each skill, however you must purchase them before you can have access to them.

 

Overcoming Gravity has a huge list of stick men figures doing various skills, and it is a one time payment.

 

Personally for quality the GB courses way outrank the drawings in Overcoming Gravity because a) They are professionally shot and b) Are real humans performing the skill, so we can see the subtleties of muscles and body position involved and c) The form is definitely correct because it is taught by Coach Sommer, a very experienced gymnastics coach. 

 

Other than that you can go to forums and youtube videos and compile a resource. 

These are only pictures and videos of strength skills.

Daniel Burnham

Championship gymnastics is a book that shows the body positions that should be assumed in many elements.  It also has a few step by step pictures of skills. 

 

Of course the Code of points shows pictorially how the skills should look but it is definitely not very descriptive.  I do not know one resource that has all the skills with step by step pictorial depictions.  I have a notebook full of exercise progressions with little stick figures and I assume a lot of coaches have something similar, but these are meant for me and wouldn't be terribly helpful to someone else unless I explained each picture carefully.

IBGC

I think I know what you mean sawilhelm is it something like on this website,

http://sbonham.com/ganba/

I don't know what these are like (or the price) as I don't have them.
I have the original version of Championship Gymnastics which I got cheaper secondhand and it is good but is really focused on WA gymnastics although obv floor skills like handspring etc are the same.
 

Daniel Burnham
IBGC said:

I think I know what you mean sawilhelm is it something like on this website,

http://sbonham.com/ganba/

I don't know what these are like (or the price) as I don't have them.

I have the original version of Championship Gymnastics which I got cheaper secondhand and it is good but is really focused on WA gymnastics although obv floor skills like handspring etc are the same.

 

Wasn't aware of that guide!  Looks interesting.  I might try and convince my gym to buy one.

IBGC

Cool you can let us know if it's any good. I don't get commission honest :)

IBGC

Further to that he is on facebook too if you are and sometimes posts some good instruction articles and videos.

sawilhelm
IBGC said:

I think I know what you mean sawilhelm is it something like on this website,

http://sbonham.com/ganba/

I don't know what these are like (or the price) as I don't have them.

I have the original version of Championship Gymnastics which I got cheaper secondhand and it is good but is really focused on WA gymnastics although obv floor skills like handspring etc are the same.

 

Aha! Very nice! That's pretty much exactly what i was looking for. Given this is just for men's gymnastics (which I'll use for my boys rec classes), it's still awesome! Great find :) Thanks so much, guys!