NECCA Application Video

Started by Marlon, April 15, 2009 · 5 Replies · 2,857 Views

Marlon

This is my video application to the New England Center for Circus Arts, hopefully I'll be accepted to their professional development program starting up this september. I want to thank coach sommer and everyone else in the gymnastic bodies community for providing such a great resource for training information because I know that if I hadn't found this site I never would have gotten anywhere near as far as i have in my training. And yea, I did take the music at the beginning from Yuval's demo video which Ido Portal posted here sometime back :lol:

http://vimeo.com/4157494

Justin Rawley

I liked it. Congratulations on your progress and best wishes in the continuation of your career.

Alvaro

Great!!! :D I Loved this video is inspirational and also very instructive, in a way that permits to see a great level of progression but still you can see how to get there following coach sommers and Ido teachings!!!.

(some times when you look at coach´s gimnasts or Ido videos I just feel sub-human :shock: )

Edward Smith

Very nice Marlon. Can I ask did you have any previous experience (gymnastic, handbalancing or other) prior to joining gymbodies?

Mikael Kristiansen

Nice! I am also applying to circus school this year! It seems like we are doing similar stuff; I do handbalancing and porting as well. I have trained circus for about a year, the first 5 months under an american coach. I did a lot of breakdance before that, so I had a reasonable fundament for learning handbalancing. Your handstands look nice and you are pretty strong and flexible. Seems like you have good potential, I hope you get in! I applied to the circus program in Stockholm, so I am probably going on audition in june.

For your 1 arm handstand, be careful not to twist in the hips. It will come with time, but try to imagine that you are only moving on a line sideways, so that your legs dont become diagonal to the line. A good exercise is to train to hold the supported 1 arm(with all 5 fingers first, and eventually 1 or 2) for a long sets to build stamina and strength.

Here is an old clip of some of my handstand work. The clip is rotated sideways, though. I will try to upload a new one soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTY5t91N ... re=related

Marlon

No, I didn't really have any background in gymnastics or hand balancing, at least not anything formal. I started messing around with hand balancing about 2.5 years ago, after about a year just playing around with it I had about a 15 second handstand hold, and the next half year or so before I found gymnastic bodies i started actually trying to practice consistently, I've been taking gymnastics classes once a week for several months now too.

Thanks for the tips handbalancer, my OAH definitely needs a lot of work, no where near as good as yours, I wish I had that kind of control XD, I'm always surprised by the how much different what I'm doing looks than it feels; with the twisting in the OAH and even with my straddle press, I had no idea that one of my feet trailed behind so much during it. Good luck with your audition.