Bucket Circles

Started by Justin Rawley, April 14, 2009 · 3 Replies · 1,885 Views

Justin Rawley

I tried these today for the first time.

GPDcgooa4vg

Having no bucket, I improvised with a strap and a rope. It took me about 45 minutes just to figure out how to do this at all and I found that it was easier for me to swing to the right. When I went to the left, I wound up "chasing the circle" so to speak, creeping around with my hands somewhat akin to the way dog chases its tail. I assume most people starting out have a dominant side. The strap tended to creep up in the direction of my knees, eventually limiting how long I could do this. Next time, I'll try and put together the proper apparatus. :mrgreen:

Coach Sommer

Yes, most people will have a dominant side. However I have noticed (especially in bucket work), that focusing on cleaning up your non-dominant side also improves your dominant side.

As far as your circles, for just beginning they are nicely done. If possible, I recommend that you lower your strap so that you can remove the pike in the front of your circle.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Justin Rawley

Thanks coach, I'll do that (and I'll also plan to get a bucket for next time).

DrAlexisOlson

Definitely bring the strap / bucket down some if you can. It's almost as high as your shoulders in the video.

When you are doing bucket circles your primary focus should probably be form and technique. Try to keep you body as straight as possible the whole way around but particularly in the front. Also, try to put less weight on the strap / bucket by leaning in the direction opposite to your legs (e.g. lean forward more when your legs are behind you). Not only will this build more strength, but it is how you need to swing if you don't have a bucket (i.e. on floor / mushroom / pommel horse).

Ideally it would be nice if you could swing on a mushroom top (or a mushroom top with pommels) since it would be easier on the wrists and would keep the hands a little closer, but those are probably pretty expensive. If you have a sturdy pair of parallettes, you might be able to use them to simulate pommels.