This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Twisting Squats - Some Insights

Started by ~Atticus, February 23, 2014 · 9 Replies · 498 Views

~Atticus

When I began twisting squats it pretty much felt like somebody had put the worst kind of super glue on you know what body part I'm talking about.

 

My view on this iM changed for the better when I recently read a topic on the general forum where someone posted a video of Ido Portal jumping on his ankles and then I think it was Bipocni who commented that twisting squats were tougher than what Ido had done.

 

His comment gave me a cue as to what twisting squats were all about: to strengthen the fascia of the ankle joint, much like WP/SE4 (handstand one) strengthen the wrist joints.

 

With this insight, I decided to concentrate on the fascia of the ankle joints and I was able to raise myself from the ground, helicopter style. 

 

There is actually no need to jerk slightly forward as the athlete does in the video, which I had previously thought was a requirement for mastering this iM.

 

Completing the twist and descending back to the ground are still a struggle, but I figure these will come with time.

Daniel Burnham

Twisting squats are not harder on the ankles than jumping on them.  Also that is only one portion of the purpose of the twisting squats.  They are also excellent at building strength in the knee joint.  You'll notice that there is pressure on the outside of the knee joint as you rise.  Your cue of pushing your ankles into the ground is a good one though because it causes you to push with downward force to initiate the rise.  

Keegan

In regards to the forward shift, you do need to get the center of gravity over your base of support (which is the outsides of the feet in twisting squats) in order to stand up, physics demands it. So, if you sit all the way down and back like the athlete in the demo video then you will need to shift your weight forwards over the feet. You can touch and go though if you don't sit all the way down and back.

Bipocni
Daniel Burnham said:

Twisting squats are not harder on the ankles than jumping on them.

All I know is, I'll take jumping from my foot-blades onto the soles of my feet over twisting squats any day.  I don't know that it actually is easier, but it's definitely easier.

Alan Tseng

Twisting Squats focuses much more on knee than ankle

Chris Clarkson

I found twisting squats very difficult until I picked up a weight - who would have thought weighted exercises would be easier than unweighted!

ausswe

Probably because the weight shifted your center of gravity further forward where as without the weight you didn't lean enough forward to center over your feet.

Bipocni
Chris Clarkson said:

I found twisting squats very difficult until I picked up a weight - who would have thought weighted exercises would be easier than unweighted!

People bring this up quite a lot with the further one leg squat progressions.  General consensus is that you need to build up the technique from the start whenever possible, rather than relying on help like this.

 

Do it if you need to in the beginning to get your numbers up, but don't consider it mastery.

~Atticus

Just an update.

 

I am finally able to rise, twist, and descend without any assistance/support of my hands. Great feeling!

 

Need probably two more weeks of this to refine movement, and I think I'll be able to move onto PE3.

 

Coach, thanks for putting together such an excellent program, which no only builds physical strength, but also mental strength as well.

 

I wasn't sure I could do twisting squats unassisted. I really thought "I was different." But so glad I persisted with this.

 

F1 is helping me overcome self-imposed limits not only in GST but also in other aspects of my life.

 

Who would have thought?

Jon Douglas
~Atticus said:

Just an update.

 

I am finally able to rise, twist, and descend without any assistance/support of my hands. Great feeling!

 

Need probably two more weeks of this to refine movement, and I think I'll be able to move onto PE3.

 

Coach, thanks for putting together such an excellent program, which no only builds physical strength, but also mental strength as well.

 

I wasn't sure I could do twisting squats unassisted. I really thought "I was different." But so glad I persisted with this.

 

F1 is helping me overcome self-imposed limits not only in GST but also in other aspects of my life.

 

Who would have thought?

Congrats :)