Road to recovery

Started by Daniel Burnham, February 22, 2014 · 20 Replies · 2,943 Views

Daniel Burnham

Almost 3 months after my labrum repair. I'm working back handstand strength. It is not quite open yet but that is due to tightness in the joint. Not brave enough to support my entire weight yet but it's coming.

Alessandro Mainente

it's funny that your's "not quite open" in reality is a very good open shoulders!!! 

Bipocni
alex87 said:

it's funny that your's "not quite open" in reality is a very good open shoulders!!! 

Bare in mind that his avatar is a freaking manna.  I think he has a different idea of open shoulders than you or I might have...

 

Daniel: I take it you plan to gain back your previous levels of strength.  How long do you think it will be until you're fully recovered?

Ravn

Just three months! It's looking really good. Where do you currently feel restrictions in your ROM?

Daniel Burnham
Ravn said:

Just three months! It's looking really good. Where do you currently feel restrictions in your ROM?

External rotation is limited. This is due to how the bankhart tear was repaired. It's a long painful process to get rom back but I am confident I'll get it.

I also have no doubt that my speedy recovery is due to the prehab I did before. I had significantly more strength and flexibility. Almost everything I did was from foundation and what will most likely be the rings mobility exercises from coach. I am also using foundation as part of my rehab. My pt likes the progressions and is willing to work with my to help recreate movements in a safe manor.

Daniel Burnham
Bipocni said:

Bare in mind that his avatar is a freaking manna.  I think he has a different idea of open shoulders than you or I might have...

 

Daniel: I take it you plan to gain back your previous levels of strength.  How long do you think it will be until you're fully recovered?

If say at least 8 months for most things to be back. Planche will be sooner. Manna will be a struggle. Not sure about crosses. I didn't have them mastered but was nearly there.

TANSTAAFL
alex87 said:

it's funny that your's "not quite open" in reality is a very good open shoulders!!! 

Ha, I guess I have to start describing mine as, "not quite closed."  :mellow:

Jon Douglas

Wishing you a fast and full recovery.

Ravn
Daniel Burnham said:

External rotation is limited. This is due to how the bankhart tear was repaired. It's a long painful process to get rom back but I am confident I'll get it.

I also have no doubt that my speedy recovery is due to the prehab I did before. I had significantly more strength and flexibility. Almost everything I did was from foundation and what will most likely be the rings mobility exercises from coach. I am also using foundation as part of my rehab. My pt likes the progressions and is willing to work with my to help recreate movements in a safe manor.

My external rotation is still restricted compared to the non-injured shoulder, but there's not much of a difference. It's lightyears better than what it was, not least due to GB.

Joshua Slocum
Jon Douglas said:

Wishing you a fast and full recovery.

Seconded!

Coach Sommer

There is no rush. 8 months can be difficult to achieve without significant risk of re-injury unless you have world class, closely supervised rehab.

In my experience, 12 months is a more reasonable number.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Burnham

Thanks for your advice coach! I am an impatient person but you are exactly right. Will definitely take your advice in this.

Coach Sommer

I am very impatient by nature as well.

But I have learned how to be patient because I have found it is the only way to achieve my goals.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Burnham
Coach Sommer said:

I am very impatient by nature as well.

But I have learned how to be patient because I have found it is the only way to achieve my goals.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Taking your advice to heart coach. I've basically doubled a lot of the time suggested in foundation before moving on to ensure complete stability in the shoulder. Doing basically a ssc with each foundation exercise regardless of how it feels.

Daniel Burnham

Some things are better than others. I have been doing a decent amount of handstand endurance work. This has been very therapeutic for my shoulder. No wonder the Chinese do it for so long.

Having to be very careful with dip rom. And some pull-up variations are out of the question. Been slowly reintroducing pommel but am not even going close to the rings for a looong time

Here is a video from a recent training session.

I have been very fortunate to make fast progress. I have been the fastest healing labrum tear that my doctor has had and that includes a clientele of professional athletes. Though no gymnasts.

meras

even after an injury you're stronger than most

Daniel Burnham

Released!post-2228-0-42607000-1399694103_thumb.jp

David Creekmore

That's crazy fast recovery time.  I've got bilateral impingement and microtears in supraspinatus and it's been three months.   I can put weight on it, but I can't train much.   My ROM is great though. 

 

I'm 45 too.  That doesn't help.

 

But good for you!  I'm a little jealous.

TANSTAAFL
Daniel Burnham said:

Released!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

God dammit, give us some time to catch up.

Bro'
TANSTAAFL said:

God dammit, give us some time to catch up.

 

I think we'd need to cut a whole arm for that to happen...

Jukkaboy
Daniel Burnham said:

External rotation is limited. This is due to how the bankhart tear was repaired. It's a long painful process to get rom back but I am confident I'll get it.

I also have no doubt that my speedy recovery is due to the prehab I did before. I had significantly more strength and flexibility. Almost everything I did was from foundation and what will most likely be the rings mobility exercises from coach. I am also using foundation as part of my rehab. My pt likes the progressions and is willing to work with my to help recreate movements in a safe manor.

I to had a bankhart operation. What specific exercises are you doing besides foundation? My shoulder never really got back to 100% even though I took care of it quite religiously...I hope you recover fast!