This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Testing HBC/PE3 & sPL/PE5 against the wall - form check

Started by EDM, February 22, 2014 · 9 Replies · 239 Views

EDM

Hi all,

I remember reading on this forum that a good way to check your form during PPPs is to do them close to a wall, so that you ensure you don't loose your lean during the movement.

 

So I've tried this, also with planche leans:

 

 

 

In the PPPs I've noticed that it's quite hard to maintain a perfectly vertical movement and my body wants to lean more as I go down.

 

In the planche lean I still struggle to find the right body positioning, particularly the hips; while I've seen an improvement in the shoulder position over time (but still not good enought I think).

 

The good thing of using the wall as a reference is that you can easily increase the lean by just placing the hands farther and measure your progress. I want to get these two elements really solid with this amount of lean (which I know is not yet enough) before increasing.

 

Would really appreciate any advice to improve the form on these two elements, which are the ones where I'm having the hardest time (together with HBH and V-ups.....) !

 

thanks!

Michael Taylor

You need about another 6 inches of ROM on ppp!!

Chest should touch floor when nose does...

EDM
Michael Taylor said:

You need about another 6 inches of ROM on ppp!!

only 6 ?? :) yeah definitely, I can actually do better but want to be sure all the rest is right before increasing the lean, and I still need to fix some details apparently :/

Michael Taylor said:

Chest should touch floor when nose does...

I noticed and I'm not sure about the reason, maybe is actually because of the wall, given that I cannot lean a little bit more as I go down?

Will try to fix this in my next workout!

Adriano Augusto

That's the problem with the wall, that you'll need to put the hands more backwards to be able to get to the ground to full ROM by increasing the lean. Increasing the lean means more difficult added, and maybe a lean which you're not prepared yet.

 

Really, I still don't know to what is useful the "wall" method and what is the benefit to it; maybe on planche leans, but in PPP exists a backwards-fordward motion whether you want to or not.

 

Planche Leans are ok. The correction that you did at 0:12 are the way to go. 

 

;)

EDM

Thanks Adriano!

good to know that planche lean is ok and with your hint I'll fix the form. In the following weeks I'll work to get this really solid and also increase the lean a little bit.

About PPPs, after yours and Michael comments, I'm also thinking that the wall is more of an obstacle. If it is natural to have a little backward- forward motion, then I'll go back to the normal version (this was a sort of experiment ).

I'll film again on monday and keep you posted.

Michael Taylor

If sliding back is an issue for you, I would ditch the wall and use a marker on the floor instead

If it is directly under your eyeline at the top of the rep, you can gauge your position as you go up and down by keeping over the top of it

Anything will do - a chalk mark, smudge on the wall, picture of Coach smiling evilly...

EDM

Guys,

as promised...moved away from the wall and tried to descend more bringing chest and head to the ground:

my comments:

- there is indeed little forward/backward movement, which at least is constant during the set

- tried to maintain shoulder protraction at the top

- for sure I need more lean, at the bottom my hands are just in front of the hips while I guess hands should be exactly at the hips

if , besides the last point, the rest is ok, I think I can work on reinforcing this form and progresively get to a proper lean...

what do you think?

Niklas03

You can improve your hollow shape when you begin at the top. It needs more tension in the hip (slightly more PPT) and leg area (bent?) to be stable throughout the movement, be solid from toes to shoulders. Currently you are somewhat soft and when you initiate the ascent  you lead with the shoulders ,break your shape and then rehollow at the top, "worming" up.

 

One thing that might help is to lead with the middle/lower back.

 

Correct it now, as it will lead to a bad habit unattended. Being aware of it, constant checking and meticulous execution helps.

EDM

thanks!

I was not paying attention to this at all! will focus more on keeping a solid body through the full ROM, should be able to do that as my hollow position is quite ok.

more to come...

EDM

Hi!

I'm back on this with some updates on the planche leans, this is from my last workout  (there are also other videos on vimeo):

 

 

Do you think form is ok ? I've tried to keep a better position of the hips (as suggested by Adriano) and I think it looks better than the previous video. Also, Iooks like I'm more stable now.

 

Any other suggestion?

 

Otherwise my plan is to keep working on this and when I'll have achieved a solid 5x30", increase the lean and do it all over again.

 

I've seen a good improvement since when I started this element, particulary thanks to the hints on this forum, so I hope I'll be able to achieve full mastery soon!

 

thanks!

bye,