This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Balance weight for SLS Negatives

Started by NoHiddenCosts, February 21, 2014 · 6 Replies · 173 Views

NoHiddenCosts

Is it okay to use a ~5lb weight to counter-balance myself for SLS Negatives (SLS/SE3)? It was stated to be okay for SE2 (SLS Static), but I made it through fine without one. However, I find myself falling backwards somewhat frequently at the bottom part of my SLS negative.

Joshua Slocum

No. How are you supposed to do a positive with good control if half the time you fall at the bottom?

Jon Douglas

Where was it said it was ok for the static? That surprises me. Sure, i can see working up to it, but the ankle flexibility and balance required to do ot without assistance seems necessary for moving on to me

Romulo

It's written in the course!!

SLS/SE2 

 

Quote:"

Focus Points:

 

1) Depending on your individual proportions, you may find that extending a light weight greatly aids in counter balance."

(sic) 

 

And it's also in the video and pictures :P

Stephen Majerle

I am currently training the SLS negative with a 5lb counterweight. I watched myself on video when I first began this element without a counterweight and noticed I was falling too fast in the bottom half of the descent. I then started using a 12lb counterweight and my descent became much more controlled. After a microcycle with that, I did another with 10lb, then 8lb, and now 5lb. Each time I dropped the weight it got a little harder but still manageable. After my deload next week I will start doing it without any counterweight. I agree that not using counterweight is required for mastery, but starting with one can help build strength until you are strong enough to do it without one.

Jon Douglas
Romulo said:

It's written in the course!!

SLS/SE2 

 

Quote:"

Focus Points:

 

1) Depending on your individual proportions, you may find that extending a light weight greatly aids in counter balance."

(sic) 

 

And it's also in the video and pictures :P

No kidding. I never noticed that ^_^

EDM

Yep, I remember that statement, but maybe the message is: start with a weight and then reduce it progressively until you reach mastery with no weight.

this is what I would do....