This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Help with a "few" form checks

Started by Richard Sassoon, February 21, 2014 · 10 Replies · 361 Views

Richard Sassoon

Hei everyone, after my first 2 weeks of workouts I'm feeling good progress, but I think it would be better to get some feedback to confirm I'm going on the right direction early on. I would appreciate any pointers and indications if what I think is good is really not  :)

 

FL/PE2

pointing my toes helped with the rocks, but I don't know if I should rock a bit more forward?

 

sPL/PE1

maybe there is a bit of sagging on the lower part but I read that coach says it's ok with a bit, but we should mostly focus on the shoulder blades touching during the retraction

 

HBP/PE2

I think the form is mostly ok, but I should focus a bit more on protraction on the top position

 

RC/PE1

I have read a lot about hinge rows, and I think I'm doing pretty similar to the course video, bringing the elbows quite back.

 

SL/PE1

I think I could get a bit more ROM on my lower body, but I think I have good ROM on my upper body 

 

MN/PE1 and iM

still not so conistent with the compression

 

SLS/PE1 and iM

not consistent with those either, but much better than my first workout where I couldn't get one right hahaha

 

Thanks!

 

Jennifer

I can't comment on all of them, since I'm relatively new too, but here are my thoughts:

 

With SL, I think you should straighten your legs more. 

 

Also with MN I noticed that I get much better compression when the angle of my lower leg is closer to (but not quite) 90 degrees with respect to the thigh.  Your lower leg looks closer to your bottom.

 

For the SLS iM  I think you should try rotating your torso a little more.  Check the course video again to see what I mean.    Great work on improving the deck squat.

 

I think you are doing very well!

 

Boa Sorte!

 

 

(edited for clarity)

Destiny

dam just found out I was doing mn/im wrong the whole time lol. had the direction of the feet pointed reverse

Richard Sassoon

Hei Jennifer, thanks for your input.

I will work on straightening my legs a bit more on the ABH and see how my ROM changes then.

You are right with regards to the tuck ups, I just compared my form side to side with the course video and it's a clear difference with the angle.

For the skiers I noticed now that I was turning my torso on the opposite direction! I should really compare more often side by side with the course video. You opened my eyes here as well :)

 

Obrigado!!

 

-------------------------------

 

Thanks Ewe!

Amazing how I forget to point my toes during the tuck ups, but I remember for the bHBR. Now I will not forget again ;)

I will also keep in mind the fulcrum point.

The windmills need some work indeed, in addition to what you told me, the other arm is also not straight at the end and I'm looking down. I should be looking up to my hand and keeping my torso more open.

 

What I meant with the shrugs is that on the bottom part we should focus on touching the shoulder blades during the retraction phase. When we are up on the plank position then we are focusing on the protraction.

Adriano Augusto

I'll say that in HBP/PE2 you've to have your hips near the floor at the bottom. Seems to me (difficult to say by the angle) that you low more your torso than your hips, and all have to be a "piece", up and down.

 

;)

Iguanus

Agree with all of the above. Would also add to Adriano's comment on moving as a single piece that , on the top of the movement, your hip jumps a bit after the trunk stops. Core and glutes contraction should help the 'monoblock' structure

Richard Sassoon

Thanks Adriano and Iguanus! You are right, I'm moving my torso more down than my hips and have to make corrections on the way up, I tried some now and it happens when I'm getting tired, so my forms get bad... need to improve my endurance and be aware about that connection from torso to hips in each rep!

Richard Sassoon

After 2 weeks more of training and trying to improve my form, I think I've made some progress. It would be great to have some feedback before I begin my 2nd cycle next week. The previous cues helped me a lot :)

 

ABH

Do you guys think that the ROM is ok for now and I can continue building the volume? Will continue to week 5.

 

Shrugs (front and side view) and swivel hips

My main problem is the swivel hips, you can see how I compensate a lot to get my knee to the floor on the internally rotated leg (I'm trying different things at the moment to improve that, let's see how it goes). What about the shrugs? Seems I need more protraction, or is it ok for now?

 

plank

I'm not moving to the plank yet, but I wanted to check if the form was good. I did many planks before without paying much attention to that.

 

tuck ups and windmills

Some of the reps were good I think, I managed to get a good compression, just need to do it more consistently. I also think the windmills improved and I feel it much more now.

 

pushups

they also feel better

 

sHBH

I'm not sure I got it right and I will start with it next week. From this attempt I would say I can start from week 9, if people think my form is ok enough.

 

Thanks!

Richard Sassoon

A bump for the weekend :)

KibboKift

Hi Richard,

Here are my thoughts, for what they're worth. I am sure others will correct me if I am out of line.

ABH

I think your hip extension and spinal extension are both good. The only thing I would call you out on is your lack of shoulder flexion compared with the athlete in the vid. I see you're working on HS PE1 iM, which should help you resolve this, so I'm sure it won't be long until you hit mastery standard.

Shrugs

These look ok - just try not to move your head around so much :) If you're not sure that you're protracting enough, try a couple standing up to give you a feel of what maximum protraction feels like. Stretching your traps can also help with the ROM.

Pushups

IMO these are fine

Richard Sassoon

Hei Kibbo, thanks!

For the ABH I notice a reduction of shoulder flexion from the 1st set to the last. Actually that on the video was after my normal workout, so I was already out almost hahaha... even though it was my deload week. Well, so I will continue normaly and build volume and endurance, trying to hold my ROM longer and longer and maybe even increase it

You can see the difference down. The first picture was my first set on the previous workout.

 

SL_PE1_20140228.png

 

SL_PE1_20140304.png

 

I see now what you mean with the head moving around during the shrugs, will try to make it more still. And you are right, it seems I can protract more, good heads up :). I had done that before standing but haven't payed attention to it afterwards.

 

Now going for my 5th week of F1 with quite a few challenges ahead, let's keep rocking! :D