Hello!
I have never had any wrist issues. But my best friends did, because she overworked her wrists last summer and it has not gotten better since. I really really don't want to deal with anything like that in future, so I will do everything that I can train without any wrist issues!
I would appreciate if anyone could help me!
I am working on press handstands a lot recently, which requires a lot of leaning forward and overstretching the wrist. (I am very mobile, wrist can bend beyond 90°, maybe 110°)
I don't feel any pain at rest nor in everyday activities, but when I try to bend and lean forward it's a mild discomfort, especially in my left hand. When not warmed up and doing a handstand (which does not happen often!) I feel this discomfort as well. It's actually not the wrist exactly, but a little more above, where all those little bones are.
I don't want to go to the doctor yet, he will do nothing but tell me to rest as well.
So what I thought about was resting the wrists for about 2 weeks now, so skipping all handstand related training (just doing some straddle, L-Sits and V-Sits on paralletets, because I need to work on those!), doing some stretching and strength work fo the wrists every day.
After 2 weeks I check if sypmtoms are gone, if not, wait another week, but maybe doing handstands, cartwheels and light stuff already in training.
And as a prehab I thought about stretching and strengthening the wrist everyday, for L-Sits, Straddle L-Sits, Planche work and Push-Ups (which I train 3-4 times a week at home) I will use paralletes and try to keep in rather short and work on hangs instead. For handstands at home I wear wrist supports.
In gym (6 hours a week) I will be careful, not mess around too much and stop when feeling discomfort or pain and rest for 1-2 days.
I know, F1 would offer a bunch of mobility work and stuff. But I think I have very mobile and quite strong wrists, I have also read some books,for example "Overcoming Gravity" by Steven Low which explains a lot of things I "can" not buy F1 or H1 yet, I don't always have acces to a computer since mine broke some months ago and I am still collecting money for a new MacBook
But as soon as I get that, I will buy F1!
So I am basically looking for experiences or opinion of other people how I can avoid wrist injuries the best!
What do you think about my "plan"?
Is training on paralletes harmful for the wrists as well? Or is it safe? (I will work on them for about 1 hour per week)
Have you ever considered high dosages of fishoil capsules? I read abbout it and some people say it really helps!
indetifying wrist injuries at an early stage? fish oil?
Started by katlinchen, February 19, 2014 · 14 Replies · 3,193 Views
katlinchen said:Have you ever considered high dosages of fishoil capsules? I read abbout it and some people say it really helps!
Your best bet for wrist prehab/rehab is to get into H1 asap, like me you're bound to have a gap between strength and mobility and weak points. Do you do any specific strength/mobility work for your wrist and hands e.g. Wrist extensors?
I believe that The jury is very much out on fish oil and joint pain/inflammation. I haven't read any studies for a while but it's benefits seem to be maintaining brain health and treating some psychiatric disorders. I'm on it for those reasons but my wrists aren't strong ![]()
Get something cheaper than a macbook, buy F/H-series for the surplus cash, seriously. A macbook is an excellent computer, but it is not essential. Long-term, training F1 and beyond will make a much bigger difference in your life than which kind of computer you're using.
Edit: Written on an iMac
. I stand by the above, though.
Ravn said:Get something cheaper than a macbook, buy F/H-series for the surplus cash, seriously. A macbook is an excellent computer, but it is not essential. Long-term, training F1 and beyond will make a much bigger difference in your life than which kind of computer you're using.
Edit: Written on an iMac
. I stand by the above, though.
my problem is, all I really want to get better in is V-Sits, Press Handstands, Hanging Leg Raises and Pull-Ups/Rope Climbs and maybe some decent advanced tuck planches. That's it.
So no rings, p-bars etc. and I am
nearly close to my goal.
"Overcoming Gravity" by Steven Low is pretty much the same, isn't it?
I don't have that high goals.
Just wanted to know smth about wrist injuries
katlinchen said:my problem is, all I really want to get better in is V-Sits, Press Handstands, Hanging Leg Raises and Pull-Ups/Rope Climbs and maybe some decent advanced tuck planches. That's it.
So no rings, p-bars etc. and I am
nearly close to my goal.
"Overcoming Gravity" by Steven Low is pretty much the same, isn't it?
I don't have that high goals.
Just wanted to know smth about wrist injuries
Oh. Well, H1 covers wrist strength, so you should get that regardless. As for "V-Sits, Press Handstands, Hanging Leg Raises and Pull-Ups/Rope Climbs and maybe some decent advanced tuck planches" the F-series does just that, and then some. So you really should get that too ![]()
If you can get there using your own programming, then more power to you!
I have overcoming gravity and convict conditioning from before I got into GB but since F1/H1 my training has evolved beyond what these resources provide. The size of the F1 and H1 forums alone proves that with all those exercises you mention being discussed, help given and so on. My suggestion would be look into getting them and you will get your money back within 30 days if it's not for you. The programs design will blow you away ![]()
katlinchen said:"Overcoming Gravity" by Steven Low is pretty much the same, isn't it?
Not even a little bit. ![]()
Honestly, H1 has some excellent wrist strengthening exercises, and H2 is all about the press handstand, so it would be well worth your money to invest in both of those.
As for wrist strengthening exercises, there are loads of options out there. The simplest one is a rice bucket. Get a bucket, fill it with rice (or sand, or whatever really) and stick your hand in there. Open it, close it, twist it this way and that....
There are wrist exercise more specific to handbalancing, but I got the all from H1 so I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you them. But trust me, they're exactly what you're looking for.
The wrist is (like the knee) a somewhat simple joint, as it moves only around one axis: bend vs. hyperextend. So the simpler wrist problems are pretty simple
- not all wrist problems fall into these in fact 2 classes, but yours does as far as I see. You are hyperextending too much - to counter this you have to bend against some resistance. I use a ~8kg dumbbell in these cases, but this may be personal, doing this since a while (only if I have your problems). And don't stretch, with this you probably mean hyperextension which goes into the wrong direction!
As soon as I realize to hyperextend too much, I do these wrist curls. After 2 days I'm fine.
Christoph said:The wrist is (like the knee) a somewhat simple joint, as it moves only around one axis: bend vs. hyperextend. So the simpler wrist problems are pretty simple
- not all wrist problems fall into these in fact 2 classes, but yours does as far as I see. You are hyperextending too much - to counter this you have to bend against some resistance. I use a ~8kg dumbbell in these cases, but this may be personal, doing this since a while (only if I have your problems). And don't stretch, with this you probably mean hyperextension which goes into the wrong direction!
As soon as I realize to hyperextend too much, I do these wrist curls. After 2 days I'm fine.
thanks for the info! that sounds pretyy logical! i will try ☺️
Christoph said:The wrist is (like the knee) a somewhat simple joint, as it moves only around one axis: bend vs. hyperextend.
Well, no. Ignoring for a second that there's pronation and supination, you can also move the hands from side to side. The knee is a very simple joint, the wrist is rather more complicated, with quite a lot more options available too it. It's not as bad as say, the shoulder, but it doesn't only move in one plane like the knee does.
Doesn't pronation and supination come from the elbow and not from the wrist?
Also, this video from Yuri might be interesting for the OP:
Bipocni said:Well, no. Ignoring for a second that there's pronation and supination, you can also move the hands from side to side. The knee is a very simple joint, the wrist is rather more complicated, with quite a lot more options available too it. It's not as bad as say, the shoulder, but it doesn't only move in one plane like the knee does.
OK, you're right. Still, so far I have only experienced these 2 simple problems from moving too much into one direction about the main axis. And mainly from hyperextension. I gave the same advice to some bouldering friends who did mantle too much -therefore hyperextending- and they were happy.
Christoph said:OK, you're right. Still, so far I have only experienced these 2 simple problems from moving too much into one direction about the main axis. And mainly from hyperextension. I gave the same advice to some bouldering friends who did mantle too much -therefore hyperextending- and they were happy.
Well I'm sure it worked out very nicely for you and your friends.
See the problem I had with your post is that while the concept and your recommended therapy may have worked well for you, you can't assume it will work just as well for someone else.
Case in point: your friends are rock climbers. They generally don't have much of a need for hyperextension, so it would definitely be a bad thing for them. But hyperextension is a requirement of handbalancing. Look at a planche and tell me they haven't hyperextended at the wrists...
So while dumbbell wrist curls may help you, OP needs to get comfortable in that extreme ROM and even build up strength there. It's not a simple matter of saying "avoid hyperextension" because it's going to happen, and if she wants to avoid an injury she better be ready for it when it does.
I didn't say "avoid", but "counter". If you do a lot of hyperextension (like I also do in handstands), you have to train the antagonists well.
Christoph said:I didn't say "avoid", but "counter". If you do a lot of hyperextension (like I also do in handstands), you have to train the antagonists well.
Oh, my mistake. You are absolutely correct.