This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I was not misinformed...

Started by Bongos, February 19, 2014 · 4 Replies · 458 Views

Bongos

First post.

 

After purchasing foundation + handstand, and then proceeding to overanalyze (and overanalyze some more), I finally dove in today (just starting with foundation 4x per week) and attempted week 11 mastery:

 

FL/PE1: hit mastery, but felt my lower back unwittingly coming off the ground on the last set.

FL/PE1 -iM1 - no problems there

 

sPL/PE1: just made it through mastery, although it was hard to know how good my form really was

sPL/PE1 -iM1: pathetic. hips are soooo tight that I was lucky if one of my glutes could stay planted on the ground. Something tells me i'll be doing this one a long time.

 

HBP/PE1 - also made mastery

HBP/PE1 -iM1 - no problems

 

RC/PE1 - really hard. 12, 6, 6, failure. Attached rings to a doorway pull up bar and saw the doorway get in the way of my elbows on each rep.

RC/PE1 -iM1 - 3 sets of 30, holding onto the kitchen sink. Seems like this one was much harder due the lack of a good grip. 

 

When I do this routine again this week, I'll probably do week 11s again for everything except RC/PE1 where I'll go to week 5. Please someone advise if that seems like a good way to go.

 

I've seen the term 'humbled' thrown around here. I can see why, but I can't say I wasn't warned.

 
Bipocni

Yeah I see no reason not to repeat the week 11 for the rest of the week.  It lets you know that it wasn't a fluke the first time.

 

Obviously though, next week, you should test mastery for the next progression.

 

With sPL/PE1>iM, have you tried performing it up on all fours, in a kind of 'table' position?  You can only work one leg at a time, but I find it's a great stretch.

Jennifer

Also, film yourself as much as you are able to.   The camera doesn't lie and it can inform you immensely regarding your form.

 

Good luck.

emilianop

Agree about the camera advice.

About this:

 

Bongos said:

FL/PE1: hit mastery, but felt my lower back unwittingly coming off the ground on the last set.

 

I'd say that if your lower back comes off the floor, you didn't hit mastery... :(

Bongos
Bipocni said:

Yeah I see no reason not to repeat the week 11 for the rest of the week.  It lets you know that it wasn't a fluke the first time.

 

Obviously though, next week, you should test mastery for the next progression.

 

With sPL/PE1>iM, have you tried performing it up on all fours, in a kind of 'table' position?  You can only work one leg at a time, but I find it's a great stretch.

 

Haven't tried this yet, but will. Progress on swivel hips at this rate seems like it will take forever, so I need all the help I can get.

 

Jennifer said:

Also, film yourself as much as you are able to.   The camera doesn't lie and it can inform you immensely regarding your form.

 

Good luck.

 

Thanks for that advice, I will try to work this in.

 

maolu said:

 

I'd say that if your lower back comes off the floor, you didn't hit mastery... :(

 

You're right - no shortcuts. I went back to week 5 (successful - just). In trying these again, I realized that my lower back starting to arch and thus lose contact with the ground was my weak core getting the best of me.

 

Another general question, and apologies is this has been posted, but in testing for mastery for a given exercise/mobility, should you try all 7 in one go, or according to the schedule you are training (i.e., if 4 days/week, 4, 3, 4, 3, M,T, Th,Fr)