This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Outpacing my mobility...

Started by Hardy Evans, February 19, 2014 · 8 Replies · 451 Views

Hardy Evans

Before starting H1 I worked quite a bit on handstands, headstands, wall runs, etc.; however I neglected my mobility to an extreme degree. The unfortunate result of this is that my performance on the PE's/SE's significantly outpaces my performance on the IM's. 

 

So my question has two parts:

 

1). When the mastery of each IM says "full range of motion", does that mean that I need to be able to do the dislocates--as an example--at a certain width to move on?

 

2). Should I keep progressing on the PE's and just work multiple mobility elements at the same time to get my mobility up to speed? Or do I need to go back to the last IM that I can complete with a certain competency (and what would that competency be?) and stick with that PE? 

 

Thanks for the help!

Guest

1. Shoulder width plus a hand width on each side.

 

2. Do not move on from the PE until the iM is mastered, and vice versa.

Jukkaboy

I've got the opposite problem xD

Coach Sommer
Hardy Evans said:

... Should I keep progressing on the PE's and just work multiple mobility elements at the same time to get my mobility up to speed? Or do I need to go back to the last iM that I can complete with a certain competency (and what would that competency be?) and stick with that PE? ...

 

You already knew when you typed this question what the correct answer was.  You just didn't like the answer.   :finger:

 

Allowing yourself to move on to a new PE before you have mastered the accompanying iM is just giving yourself an excuse to continue avoiding your mobility issues.

 

If a lack of mobility is your major issue, correcting it needs to become your primary focus.  Only then will you begin to make headway.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Murray Truelove

When I finally get IM:2 I'm never doing a head stand again.

Duff
Murray Truelove said:

When I finally get IM:2 I'm never doing a head stand again.

I think I'll keep one in my warmup, you know, for old times' sake :P

Eric HARDOUIN

Side question : if mobility is a that big of an issue (sorry for the english), preventing you from moving to the next PE for months, is keeping the work on the same PE still making sense ?

(I think the answer is kind of "yes and no" and "rehab rehab and rehab more meanwhile", wich is what I do...)

Wouldn't just trying other PE (not "training" them more then a cycle) help to build the whole thing and feel were correct activations are ?

 

Joshua Slocum
Eric HARDOUIN said:

Side question : if mobility is a that big of an issue (sorry for the english), preventing you from moving to the next PE for months, is keeping the work on the same PE still making sense ?

Yes.

If your mobility issues really are that bad, your time would be best spent figuring out how to fix them as quickly as possible.

 

Eric HARDOUIN said:

Wouldn't just trying other PE (not "training" them more then a cycle) help to build the whole thing and feel were correct activations are ?

 

You should feel free to play with later progressions (this 'play' should come after you've completed your work for the day). If you find that this helps your progress, that's great. However you should not begin focused work on later PE's until you've mastered the previous PE's *AND* iM's.

Hardy Evans
Coach Sommer said:

You already knew when you typed this question what the correct answer was.  You just didn't like the answer.   :finger:

 

Allowing yourself to move on to a new PE before you have mastered the accompanying iM is just giving yourself an excuse to continue avoiding your mobility issues.

 

If a lack of mobility is your major issue, correcting it needs to become your primary focus.  Only then will you begin to make headway.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

You're right, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of backtracking after I've progressed so well through the PE's. But it's the right way to do it. Thanks for the input coach, I really appreciate it. I'll back track to the last iM I can successfully complete.