This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What methods do you use to recover from a bad workout

Started by James Hall, February 18, 2014 · 10 Replies · 305 Views

James Hall

Hi everybody,

I know some of you have posted your strategies for dealing with a bad workout in many previous topics. I, however think it would be a great idea for everybody to post a few of their tips for moving on and having the best session next time and before you ask, yes my session today was a little trying :)

Felt a little like this :)

post-4662-0-49649000-1392716632_thumb.jp

dritar

It's best not to dwell on it too much. Bad workouts happen from time to time. If it becomes a systematic thing then you should look if your recovery (sleep and nutrition) is ok. 

Richard Sassoon

We all have our bad days. I try to at least finish the exercises and workout with a good rep to feel a bit better and motivated for the next time.

Gray

Basic:

- Meditate,

- Increase sleep time, 

- 1-2 additional naps during the day (15-20 minutes),

- Eat more veggies, improve your nutrition, 

- drink more water,

- stress menagement, 

- FOCUS MORE,

- stretching/limbering, 

- enjoy your workout :)

Jimmy Bellum

A bad workout is a result of our thoughts moreso than our physical capabilities, which is easy to say, but the right mentality in a workout does make a difference.

We can also look at it like this, a bad workout still adds up to being consistent, which at the end of it, is most important. The only thing we can do is to do our daily work and to give it our best

Ravn

Also depends on your definition of a bad workout. 

 

To me, failing to complete the required reps or time does not constitute a bad WO; it just meant that I pushed hard and failed. I'll probably get it the next time, or at least eventually.

 

A bad workout is those times when I am not motivated to push hard, where I feel drowsy and just generally not in a fighting spirit. This always seem to coincide with deload weeks. I haven't really experienced these several times in a row, though, they seem to just come and go.

James Hall
Ravn said:

Also depends on your definition of a bad workout.

A bad workout is those times when I am not motivated to push hard, where I feel drowsy and just generally not in a fighting spirit. This always seem to coincide with deload weeks. I haven't really experienced these several times in a row, though, they seem to just come and go.

Yep those days when it's an uphill battle
Gray

Michael Phelps asked in interview said something like this:

- Michael, what you do when you're not in the mood for training?

- I change my mood

;)

fazool

"Bad" workouts happen, no big deal. If they occur, I tend to look at the following:

Did I have a stressful day?

Did I have enough sleep the night before?

How clean has my nutritional intake been over the past few days?

Did I do something in my previous workout that may have impacted a muscle group to effect today's workout?

I try not to dwell on it because the body adapts, makes adjustments to the stimulus provided. Remember it is a process, that includes both the physical and mental side.

Blair Norwood

If I can push through I will, sometime reps will be lower and thats ok, But if my perfromance is really bad, such as only getting half the reps I plan in my first of second set of the day I call I done, sit on the couch and relax. I see no point in beating myself down at that point, I'll come back and hit it the next day.