This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WR/PE1 - Very painful to do

Started by juiop, February 17, 2014 · 11 Replies · 337 Views

juiop

Whenever I attempt to do the Wall Wrist Rock Walk (WR/PE1), I get a pain that shoots down in the area of my hand between Index finger and thumb (see image below, the red line is where it goes through to). The pain happens when I do the forward part of the movement. It hurts much more on the right. The left hand is only a slight pain. It feels like I cannot do this movement at all. I can only move it a very little in the forward direction. Any ideas what could be wrong? I am a right handed person too so im confused as to why it hurts left more.

 

25qf24k.jpg

howens

I imagine forearm tightness. There are several threads about releasing the forearms.

TANSTAAFL

If it's the same thing I had (and it definitely looks like it) it felt like a nerve pain, shooting right down the arm. I just worked them very slowly, pushing only as far forward as to not cause the issue. If that was only 1/2", that's all I did. Also mixed this with some days putting the thumb out to the side which eliminated the issue entirely. After about a month I had no more problems, so just stick with it for a while and don't push through pain.

juiop

I tried putting the thumb out and i have to say pain was much less. It definitely feels like nerve pain. It only goes along the red line i put, not further. Never had it go into the arm. I guess ill keep working on it slowly.

TANSTAAFL

Mine was mostly in the area you described as well, but sometimes went further. Another thing to keep in mind is putting almost no pressure on it. Stand straight up and don't lean into the wall at all. This may get you a little further ROM as well.

howens

Are you trying to keep a fist when doing the exercise, or do you allow the hand to open?

juiop

I am maintaining a fist while doing this exercise. I do see that if I allow my hand to open, it relieves alot of pain.

 

The reason I maintained the first though, is because I have seen a very similar exercise where you hold a dumbell in your hand and while your arm is hanging down, you do the same movement back and forth. This form, was also very painful.

 

Are we suppose to allow the hand to open>

howens

In the video the athletes hands open.

juiop

I just had a look at it now, his hands were closed like a fist and maintained throughout. Are you by any chance getting mistaken for Wrist Push Ups instead of Wrist Rocks? I am looking at the very first PE of Wrist Rocks.

howens

Ah yes rocks are closed. My bad

Tarjei

Have you tried to loosen up your wrists a bit?  For me this helps a little:

Alexander S.

I sprained my ulnar ligament in jiujitsu a while back. It sometimes gets sore after workouts, in the base of the thumb and in the area you've marked. Could be a possibility?