This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE2>iM question

Started by Josh Hillis, February 16, 2014 · 5 Replies · 173 Views

Josh Hillis

I just started it, been playing with it two ways:

 

1.) Starting at the top and basically doing 1/2 reps, hoping to work my way down over time

 

2.) Holding on to something and doing full reps

 

Right now I'm mixing it up, I do one of each every other.  So far on the forum all I've found is "start slow", do you guys have any other ideas for how you started slow.  Or thoughts on the two things I'm trying so far?

Keilani Gutierrez

scaling it like that is great. you can also add something to sit on like a folded mat, yoga block, etc so you begin the twisting squat a little higher.

RJS

i started off holdng on to a low step thing so i could only use it when i got below half way. then i adapted after a few sessions and let go. 

 

So id say holding on to something will work for a few sessions, then let go. 

john_c

I started by sitting on a platform (blocks of wood), doing full ROM and gradually lowering it over time. I started at approx 6 inches and and now down to approx 1 1/2 inches. Also I find the last set is the easiest as I have loosened up by then.

Josh Hillis

Really cool, thanks guys!

 

So I'll combine the two:

 

I'll hold on for a few sessions (like RJS said) for some of the sets...  and I'll do what KeilaniG and Tfeal said, and use blocks to start on, and lower those over time, for other sets.

 

Thanks, I really appreciate it =)

~Atticus

Like many, when I started twisting squats I could barely lift myself 2 inches from the ground.  

 

Initially, what worked best was trying to use a lever of some sort to raise myself from the ground just to get the "feel" for it, and then afterwards I kept attempting to raise myself with no external assistance.

 

I found that the no-external-assistance method worked best for me.  Sure, despite clenching my teeth a few times and using all my will power, I didn't move an inch the first couple of attempts.

 

But today, I was able to successfully raise myself from the ground and twist, but my descent is still awkward.

 

So this is  a long-winded way of saying, in addition to all the contraptions, try doing it solo no matter how "impossible" it seems.

 

Also, a good cue is to train your eyes to the ceiling before you attempt to rise, and while rising to kind of jerk yourself forward before going vertical.  

 

Best of luck.