This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What is the difference?

Started by ausswe, February 14, 2014 · 6 Replies · 250 Views

ausswe

Hej everyone,

I just wrote a long topic but the Internet crashed and I lost it so I'm going to make this short.

Trained today and felt unusually tired, ended up failing on the last 2 exercises last 2 sets.

On those few days where this happens should I...

1. Power through do as normal and possibly fail to finish the last sets.

2. Separate the exercises throughout the day so I will have the energy to complete every set (eg. 10am-Fl, 1pm-spl, 4pm-RC, 7pm-hbp)

3. Not train at all?

Also for strength gains is there a difference when training multiple exercises back to back compared to separating the exercises through out the day? (Curious)

The days I feel this tired are uncommon 1 a month maybe so it isn't a recovery issue as 99% of the time I feel fresh and ready.

Cheers

dritar

In the absence of injury I'd do 1. You may still fail the sets but it's important to develop a "power through" mentality on the days you don't feel like training.

 

I'd have a look at how is your rest and nutrition if this is a recurring issue.

ausswe

Thanks for the response. I was also thinking another option would be to have that as a rest day and do the session the day after instead? I have no problem powering through but it just doesn't feel very productive.

Rest and nutrition are fine. Some days I could get better sleep for sure but like I said this happens at most once a month. Nutrition consists of vegetables, vegetables and more vegetables as well as some kangaroo, beef,lamb, and chicken ( not so much fish any more because I'm looking for somewhere that sells more wild caught stuff) whey protein powder, cottage cheese sometimes occasional fruit and 85% chocolate. I'm studying so I get plenty of time to just chill out as well ( studies don't really stress me out).

I always start training around 5pm but on the days I feel tired the weird thing is I feel far more energetic around 9-midnight like I get a sudden energy spike but I can't train then as the place I train is closed then and it has all the stuff I need there.

Thanks again

Jon Douglas

Just get it done. Ups and downs happen. 9/10 it's when I think it's going to be an absolute slog that I set my PR's.

And if not, well, at least I ticked my boxes for the day and stimulated improvement :)

Jimmy Bellum
ausswe said:

Also for strength gains is there a difference when training multiple exercises back to back compared to separating the exercises through out the day? (Curious)

I am curious as well. Perhaps seperating the exercises takes out building up general endurance. 

Which also makes me wonder if there is an endurance benefit of doing F7 all in one workout. Versus workout A and B. Assuming we don't compromise form in both templates 'obviously'

ausswe

That's why I specifically asked about strength gains not endurance or work capacity.

Alright I guess I'll just keep things they way they are. 10/10 times when I feel like this I fail the last couple sets of the last couple exercises. Luckily this only happens on a training day at most once a month.

Blair Norwood

I think its fine if its only the last few sets. Back when I was weight training (only a few weeks ago, before I started foundations) I would sometimes start my workout and then hit half the reps I normally do on my second set of the day. When this happened I knew it was a good time to just stop and rest becuase I was too far gone, but if I tired late in a set, I just push through.

 

Also you may want to grind through the last few reps, e.g. I'm trying to hit mastery for push ups, but am just falling short, so say if I get 10 reps (last or second to last set), I hold at the top, do 2, hold, 2, hold, 1. That way I get all my reps in, but I don't count it as mastery and make a note in my training log.