Maybe a daft question, but when I watch the videos I can see there is a curtain of fabric hanging on the wall, so I am not sure how hard the wall is that they are using. I have concrete walls in my place, and am really bruising my bony little fingers doing the WRPE2. Is this necessary conditioning and am I just being a wuss? Or should I tape something soft to the wall?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Concert wall, ouch!
Started by Alison Moore, February 14, 2014 · 9 Replies · 238 Views
Those are panel mats that have been attached to the wall, and they are fairly soft.
If you have a yoga mat, piece of foam etc you can use that to make the wall softer.
I have a small apx 1.5'x1.5' square of foam I use, leaning against it to do the pushups is enough to keep it in place.
In my old studio, we'd just fold our yoga mats and use them against the wall, which was also a gritty concrete and quite unpleasant otherwise.
Wow! So fast to reply! Thanks so much. I will use my ratty old out-of-service yoga mat for this now (glad to finally find a use for it!)
Alison
Listen to Cole, before one of the younger guys asserts that you must do wrist pushups on a drain grating with a 20 kg weight plate on your back, cuz that's what they used to do in kung fu class ![]()
You'll find dozens of uses for your old ratty yoga mat. When the middle to totally rashed out just cut the ends off and keep them, tossing the middle bit. The mat scraps really come in handy for that little bit of extra padding or grip in odd places.
I put a thick towel on my door, then I close it. Adjust height accordingly. ![]()
Ravn said:Listen to Cole, before one of the younger guys asserts that you must do wrist pushups on a drain grating with a 20 kg weight plate on your back, cuz that's what they used to do in kung fu class
But, but.. But Sifu says it's gonna make me mighty strong ![]()
I have managed to get up to 5x5r i.e. mastery on WR/PE2 this mini-cycle(about to enter deload week) on concrete walls. At first it was a bit uncomfortable but now I have no issues. Would it be ok to continue on concrete or am I headed for injury?
i use gloves and then do my wpu against hard surfaces. yeah, sometimes the knuckles start bleeding a little bit, though.
I use red wooly mittens from the 2010 winter Olympics in Vancouver. It's not super macho, but I think they look cool ![]()
That being said, I eventually got to the point where I could do them against the wall without the mittens, but there's no real point in doing so since you're trying to condition your wrists rather than your knuckles.
