This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Some questions: Mastery/Cycles/IM

Started by bazinga, February 13, 2014 · 3 Replies · 139 Views

bazinga

Hi all,

 

I'm new to Foundation series. Cannot find if this has been asked before (probably yes ...)

 

1. When I master the repetitions of an element but my form can still improve how do I continue? Do I go back to week 9 or keep the mastery repetitions for the next weeks?

 

2. Cycles: Still trying to figure out which cycle template to use (3day/4day). For figuring out what works best is it ok to change the template from week to week until I found out what works best?

E.g., can I do week 1 with the 3 day template and week 2 with the 4 day template? (I don't want to change it every week though)

 

3. IM: The SLS/PE1>iM description says to do 10 reps (5 per each side i suppose?). In the "Introduction->Integrated Mobility" section it says to do the same amount of iM reps as reps for the specific exercises. What is correct now?

 

4. For those who do additional exercises: I am doing some exercises (mainly deadlift/squat/pullups/dips) with weights actually and I don't want to miss it. Any experiences with integration of additional elements into the Foundations program? Currently I add those exercises to the end of my training day and try to keep them in synch (e.g., doing squats on the "SLS-day". Do you deload these exercises as well? Sorry confusing questions, just wanted to hear some personal experiences from you guys :)

 

Moreover, I'm really depressed that after so many years of training I have to start at the very beginning of most of the elements!  :facepalm:  :D

 

Joshua Slocum

1. Repetitions done with poor form don't count at all. If you do a rep with bad form, you should not count it towards your target volume for the day. E.g. if you're doing a set of 12 pushups, and you do 10 pushups with good form and then 2 pushups with bad form, you still need to do 2 more pushups with good form in order to count the set as a success. Your form should be at least as good as that shown in the demonstration videos for the rep to count. You should find the week at which you're capable of performing the target volume with good form, and build your way up from there. 

 

If your form and volume is good enough for mastery but you think it could be even better, then put the element in your warmup and take that time to work on improving your form. 

 

2. Ideally you should stick with the same template for many weeks and keep a good record of how you feel. It's easy for variations in diet/schedule/sleep/weather/etc to make you feel better or worse from week to week. I'd try one template for 8-12 weeks, then the other template for 8-12 weeks and see which works better for you.

 

3. You've read wrong. It says do the same number of sets. The number of reps is what it says on the iM page. The number of sets is the number of sets of the PE you're doing. 

 

4. To be frank, weights dips/pullups are almost useless as far as GST is concerned. Continuing to do them is more likely to hinder your progress than help you develop strength. If you're attached to doing those exercises, I would recommend doing 1-2 sets at medium volume and intensity twice a week. That will maintain the strength you have there and shouldn't affect your progress. Squatting and deadlifting on top of Foundation should be fine - lots of forum members have been doing it. You should deload those as well. 

bazinga

Wow that was quick, thank you for the detailed information. Much appreciated! Then I'll remove the dips/pullups for now (and stick with RC/PE1 which is harder than I thought!). This program is really humbling :)

 

Bipocni
bazinga said:

Do you deload these exercises as well?

Yes.