This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Big twang in hamstring

Started by Chris Edgar, February 13, 2014 · 7 Replies · 230 Views

Chris Edgar

Hey all, I was just doing MN PE1/iM in my warm up. I normally do this with 7-8kg but have been stalling out a bit with hamstring flex so upped the weight to 16kg (big increase but only weight available). As I descended down to the right, my hamstring seemed to twang down near the knee to the inside of my leg. Initially it didn't hurt, so I went for another rep at which point it felt a bit sore. I stopped all iM work immediately, but between my work sets I did some very light pancake work, just to see if it would help my straddle ups. I noticed a big discrepancy between each leg with my right being noticeably less tight. I must have gained 2-3 inches of ROM on the one side, but now it's stiff and sore (though not a 'bad sore) Just wandering if this could be the relsease of adhesions between the hamstring and Gracialis? Has anyone else had a similar experience? So psyched i might finally be beating my stubborn hammys into submission! :D

Chris

Cole Dano

Has this just happened like just in the last few minutes?

 

If so, I'd really say stop pushing it, this could be a tear, oftentimes they don't actually feel bad until 24 hours later. 

Coach Sommer

You doubled your working weight?   :facepalm:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Chris Edgar

In the past I've done higher weight, although admittedly not for several months, it certainly didn't feel heavy. 8kg felt way too light.

 

Is there anything I can look out for? Tbh I think it's fine, it's a little tender, but certainly not as bad as i usually feel the day after hard stretching. I don't think there's any serious damage

 

I broke my forearm a few years ago and when i got back into training a tendon once popped in and out of it's groove, it felt very similar today.

 

I'll just gently keep it moving today and wait and see I guess.

 

Thanks! :/

Cole Dano

The concern is that you're saying started hurting, The sudden increase of ROM along with sound is rarely a good thing, but naturally sitting in my linking room in Helsinki, know way I can know. Personally I'd avoid pushing it for 24 hours, after then you'll know for sure, if it there was tissue damage, you won't be able to stretch it like today, at least not with out a lot of pain.

 

 

The good news is that hamstring injuries are generally at the insertion on the sitting bones, or in the belly, rarely the knee. But that doesn't rule out some other happening there.

Chris Edgar

Good news, no pain or stiffness today. My hamstrings have always been chronically tight.This is probably the most flexible they have ever been (before the incident). I honestly just think it was moving into a better position, if i gently stetch that area it feels like the stretch is distributed much more evenly down the back of my leg. It's difficult to explain. Guess I'll never know what it was!

 

Chris

Cole Dano

Strange things happen, the body certainly can make all kinds of noises, and many, maybe most are normal and benign, but in case of a dramatic happening, like yours, better safe than sorry.

 

Once doing an assisted backbend (laying on my stomach arching and bringing my feet to my shoulders, with the help of a teacher) there was a sudden load pop. I think there were 45 people in the room and everyone stopped. As is often the case with these things, it's didn't actually hurt, and I continued but prudently backed way off. Of course that was with a lot of experience behind me.

 

I still don't know what happened, for sure, but for the next few weeks I avoided watching any comedies. 

Chris Edgar

Thanks for the advice Cole. You're definitely right about strange noises, It happens to me occasionally mobilising stubborn joints. Sometimes with my shoulders, etc, especially initially. I've noticed that as joints get more mobile the noises definitely decrease. Although in hindsight increasing the weight by so much, may have been foolish, it felt absolutely fine at the time, even good. And choices were limited. I suppose it was a lucky escape and a good reminder to be diligent when pursuing advances in mobility, and to just sit back, and let Coach's exercises do their work.

Thanks again,

Chris