Rebound energy.

Started by Bipocni, February 13, 2014 · 7 Replies · 2,311 Views

Bipocni

So I've been doing a lot of pike pushups recently.  At first they were rather awkward to get the feel of, but I'm at the point now where I can 'bounce' at the bottom of the rep.  Before, in order to maintain control, I had to kill my momentum completely, take a second to get comfortable and then push back up.

 

Now I know that generally speaking in order to get the most out of an exercise you should follow say a 212 tempo and pause at the bottom of each rep, but I only now have the option of doing otherwise because I've gained more efficiency with the movement.

 

So I'm wondering if I should continue with this faster tempo for a time (in order to build more efficiency I guess) before returning to the slower tempo in the future.

 

Any advice?

Jon Douglas

What makes you think this will develop strength?

Stretch reflex assistance is to be avoided for basic strength development. That's why we kill momentum top and bottom.

If you're using it for other reasons than basic strength, that's a different topic, but if you're using it to get enough assistance to complete your reps you are limiting yourself IMO.

Coach Sommer

Rebounding is a highly effective method of building connective tissue strength; at the right time and stage of training.

That time is not yet.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bipocni
Coach Sommer said:

Rebounding is a highly effective method of building connective tissue strength; at the right time and stage of training.

That time is not yet.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I assume you're speaking of plyometric training where you lose contact with the ground, rather than simply 'bouncing' out of the bottom of the rep?

howens

I'd be careful assuming. Pretty sure he read your question, understood it, and gave you his advise.

howens

Oh...and before someone else points it out, I realize I made an assumption too.

Coach Sommer
Bipocni said:

I assume you're speaking of plyometric training where you lose contact with the ground, rather than simply 'bouncing' out of the bottom of the rep?

Both examples are plyometric in nature; although admittedly of relatively low level.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bipocni
Coach Sommer said:

Both examples are plyometric in nature; although admittedly of relatively low level.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ah okay.  It's really just a matter of whether you rebound at extension or at flexion...

 

I assume they both have their purpose as well.

 

But hey, if you say I need to be focusing my energies elsewhere, that's good enough for me.

 

Time to got master ABH!